New RHCP Single

What's Hot
gubblegubble Frets: 1746

Just heard the new RHCP single on Radio 2 (that clearly means I'm old as it's no longer relevant for radio 1)

It's very meh - the melodies sound like a mix of 3 songs from Stadium Arcadium, there's a surprising amount of piano, it's not very memorable.

I'll take my copy of BSSM and cry quietly in the corner 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6189
    tFB Trader
    did it sound like this:

Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    I haven't heard it yet but I'm not surprised. Any RHCP without John Frusciante is a waste of time for me - it lacks some sort of spark.

I apologise to fans of Hillel Slovak and Dave Navarro but I've never been able to get into the albums with them on. But I'm probably unusual for a Chilis fan in that By The Way and Californication are my favourite albums, and I prefer Stadium Arcadium and Mother's Milk to BSSM as well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1746
    edited May 2016

100% agree with you @ICBM - Frusciante is a huge part of their sound and without him it sounds terrible.

Recently saw on youtube a concert from last month, sounded rubbish if I'm honest (but to be fair a rubbish RHCP live set is not a rare thing).

Interestingly they played a couple of songs you don't normally hear live such as Aeroplane. Here's the set including a false start !:

Intro Jam
     Can't Stop
     Chad solo
     Dani California
     Jam
     Scar Tissue
     Ethiopia
     Aeroplane
     Snow ((Hey Oh))
     Jam
     Right on Time (False start)
     Right on Time
     Universally Speaking
     The Adventures of Rain Dance Maggie
     Higher Ground (Stevie Wonder cover)
     Under the Bridge
     Suck My Kiss
     Magic Johnson (tease)
     Jam (Californication intro jam)
     Californication
     Jam
     By the Way
     Flea solo
     Around The World
     Jam
     Give It Away

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27080
    I'm with @ICBM. Californication and By The Way are both phenomenal melody- and harmony-soaked nuggets of joy and all the funky stuff and records with "the other guys" are just nowhere near as good. 

The current chap, whose name I forget, is a great and interesting guitar player but the last album was so one-dimensional because it missed not just Frusciante the guitarist but the a band leader, arranger and harmony vocalist
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188

pish

One Hot Minute makes the rest of their output sound childish imo. (apart from the "I'm a little pea, I love the birds and the see" song natch) :)

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

One Hot Minute makes the rest of their output sound childish imo.
    I thought the literal exact opposite. It's why I don't like OHM.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Does it mention which state they come from? I'm not sure
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3909
    I'd have had an advance copy of an advance copy years ago. Can't even be arsed listening to it nowadays.
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5157
    I'm with @ICBM. Californication and By The Way are both phenomenal melody- and harmony-soaked nuggets of joy and all the funky stuff and records with "the other guys" are just nowhere near as good. 

The current chap, whose name I forget, is a great and interesting guitar player but the last album was so one-dimensional because it missed not just Frusciante the guitarist but the a band leader, arranger and harmony vocalist

Josh Klinghoffer.

And yes, Californication and By The Way are probably the strongest albums they've made. 

BSSM is too long and too samey.

STFU. Yes it is.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    BSSM FTW. STFU back.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    My two favourites are also Californication and By they Way, by quite a long way. Me and my mates all listened to Californication to death through Uni, one of my lifetime favourite albums, so many events and memories around that time. :) I never quite got properly into the more rap / funk type stuff they did earlier and the newer stuff after Stadium Arcadium is pretty forgettable really - I think it's too bland for me.

I'm kind of expecting more of the same here. Especially without JF.
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    edited May 2016

Im a fan of a lot of their stuff but his voice just bores me now, his lyrics/rap when you listen to them properly are just nonsenical.

No mention of California
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

Hard to top this for me

• benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1396
    was actually pleasantly surprised with that ethereal intro then it dropped into that "funky" shite and he started signing - nope not for me
    How very rock and roll
    was actually pleasantly surprised with that ethereal intro then it dropped into that "funky" shite and he started signing - nope not for me
    Exactly what I thought, great feel to the intro then just a massive let down

Hang on. You can't put 'funk' and 'shite' in the same sentence.
    I'm eating my words a bit here as I quite like it. Its.....pleasant. And I want to hear funky bass humping my face :)
  • pmgpmg Frets: 298
    edited May 2016
    Bassline isn't too different from can't stop. Ugh, poor grammar.
    [Otherside]

Hard to top this for me
    I like that a lot too, but if I had to pick just one, it would be this…

Not just my favourite Chilis track but one of my favourites by any artist ever.

Nice to find I'm not as alone as I thought I would be on liking By The Way and Californication best, too.

• Damn... the title had me thinking Random Hand Claps had released a new single.

(Wasn't sure what the P was for... but there are times when we all need a P)

• duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    Heard it on spotify yesterday, I agree the piano took me a bit by surprise, but was one of the things I liked most about it. 

Also thought that it was a bit Stadium Arcadiumy, and generally not very exciting.