Nicking a Pete Thorn tone - H9 "pitch shift" help?

What's Hot
MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
edited May 2016 in FX
I've been working up my own settings to emulate a clean sound demoed by Pete Thorn, using the compressor and Zoom G3 on my pedal board. I've got quite close, but I'm still not really sure what effect type he adds for the "touch of pitch shift" at 0.30 in the video below. It seems to somehow widen the sound, and give a kind of 3D quality to things. Is it just a very subtle amount of actual pitch shift, or something else?

Any help gratefully received, cheers :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7557
    Looks and sounds like it's the "Fat H910" preset or a tweak thereof.

It's a dual pitch shift, one a tiny bit detuned, one the same amount up, (in the preset its 0.996 and 1.004) in equal amounts and that sound is mixed in roughly 50/50 with the dry signal
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    You can get pretty close using the pitch shifter in the G3
    Stop crying, start buying
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Thanks @TimmyO and @Moss - very helpful information. I was kind of wondering if it was some kind of very slow pitch variation/vibrato or something, but it makes sense that it is a pitch shift effect. So - very subtle amounts of pitch shift mixed in with the dry signal - didn't know about that one, but I do now, cheers.

Just out of interest, re the phaser part of the equation, I'm really liking the dual phaser on the G3 - it just seems a lot nicer and more versatile than the G3's basic phaser model. Wish the G3 had an analogue modulated delay, but the modulated delay it does have still sounds nice and gets me in the ballpark.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom