Relationship between output valve resistance, OT and speaker load

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
    Alas, adding a 4K7 across the presence pot did't help - still the same issue

It actually sounded very much like it did running 16 Ohms into an 8 Ohm load - buzzier, more compressed OD but the this oscillation still present

I'll need to get some appropriate caps to try the valve grid mod, but @JPF amps is kindly lending me an amp this weekend without NFB, so hopefully that will go some way towards exercising the NFB theory

Thanks for the suggestions / help none the less
    The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72362
    SunDevil said:
    I'll need to get some appropriate caps to try the valve grid mod, but @JPF amps is kindly lending me an amp this weekend without NFB, so hopefully that will go some way towards exercising the NFB theory
    You could just try disconnecting the NFB entirely. It might cause other oddness, but if it stops that exact oscillation you will at least know what the cause is.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    Totally agree with @ICBM temporarily disconnect the NFB loop altogether and note the difference. To be honest this is a mod I have done on many Fender amps over the years, using the redundant 'ground' switch as NFB on / off. As you would expect makes the amps more lively and crisp sounding.
  • What frequency is this oscillation at?
    Arkless Electronics. Amp repairs and custom design work in North East England 01670 530674
    Don't know, but we've already established that it's not ghost noting if that's possibly where you were going?

Given that the amp is 100% when un-attenuated and it sounds great with EL34s even when it is, I'm going to look at fix that amp agnositic

I think for my next step, I'm going to plumb it into a resistive load and feed the line in on the Power Station with that

BP
  • I've no idea what you are talking about there!
    Arkless Electronics. Amp repairs and custom design work in North East England 01670 530674
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1633
    I've no idea what you are talking about there!

And I am unanimous in that!

Dave.

:-)

..Translation - try a resistive load rather than a reactive one, but take a line level out and re-amp it, so the speaker isn't loaded down