Hi from "Amp Tech" new to this forum

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Hi Dave, The home recording scene may be worth looking into.... I'd certainly like to get into the professional recording market where people will spend proper money but it's probably a case of "who you know".... An acquaintance who is a famous hi-fi amp designer does custom work for the likes of Dave Gilmour and gets called to build "specials" for the likes of Abbey Road Studios... I'd love a slice of that and can certainly do this kind of thing but getting a foot hold would be virtually impossible!
    Arkless Electronics. Amp repairs and custom design work in North East England 01670 530674
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DJH83004 said:
    Some very interesting observations guys, my particularly bugbear is anything involving switch mode powers supplies and class D amps (usually combined!) found in many modern powered PA monitors and high output bass amps. Its a case of change the mosfets and the driver chip (if you can get it out of the board) and stand well back!! I've actually stopped looking at them, and refer people to replacement module suppliers and their silly prices.   
    Yes and this is a prime case of the problems facing techs these days. The switch mode supplies and class D amps actually make it considerably cheaper to manufacture once you are making them in very large quantities. And cheaper as well as lighter in weight for the end customer..... BUT!!!! It makes stuff VERY difficult and expensive to repair! Cheaper to buy + more expensive to fix = beyond economic repair in many cases. It's getting so only high end gear and pricey vintage stuff is worth repairing these days.....
    Arkless Electronics. Amp repairs and custom design work in North East England 01670 530674
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom