Ever feel that "news" doesn't give enough information?

What's Hot
MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
This afternoon I was looking at the news and saw this:

Car crash holds up busy road... person involved calls for speed cams. Not really news, but a "celeb" (well a wealthy person who was sufficiently wealthy to be asked onto I'm a celeb pay me to be in the jungle, but not wealthy enough to decline).

But the photo of the damage to her car got me wondering.

A little googling and comparing the photos in the article narrowed the crash site down to one of two junctions

Now... because the google car drove into rather than out of both junctions it's on the wrong side to get a perfect idea... but visability on one of those roads stretches for what appears to be a half mile. The other looks to have maybe 200 yards visibility (there's a van in the way, but at the left turn 200 yrds sign there is an angle to the lines of the junction - a drivers head would be higher than this).

The damage to the car is a VERY clear side impact... on the right side of the vehicle with a slight angle to the impact damage - as though the driver pulled out onto a busy dual carriageway without looking, perhaps because they were very close to home and had crossed this section of dual carriageway hundreds of time and were somewhat complacent.

Obviously the BBC don't want to come out and accuse someone of driving without any attention what-so-ever no matter how clear it is that they were at fault (you can't be hit like that without it being your fault in any normal driving situation - pull out into traffic and it's your fault...)... but the only informatino in the article is that a car crash happened and someone wants a speed camera... and a lot of information as to WHO this person is (because they're sufficiently un-famous that you need to point it out). 

There's no information about the junction(s) or the visibility, lighting/weather conditions (the photos were of a sunny day...)... the drivers planned route (looks to be from Holt Lane across the A27 into Castle Goring Way).

Not a single comment from the other driver - or a comment on the state of the health of the other driver - and a 70mph - 0mph instant accelleration can be bad for you! There was a 3rd vehicle involved - no comment from that driver, or on their vehicle. Someone could have been badly injured by that crash, but the writer is more concerned by reminding us who this "celeb" might be.

Okay, this is a non-story about nothing important... but I've noticed more and more the need to read around a news story lately because there isn't a full story and this was simply the one I noticed today... is news getting dumber? Was it always this dumbed down, or thanks to the more easily available information are we noticing the discrepancies more?
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27131
    edited May 2016
    This isn't news, as such, it's just reporting of a thing that happened. One could argue that "They" don't want us to think, but rather just do as we're told.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    edited May 2016
    I have been on the receiving end of what I would describe as half-arsed reporting.  Even to the point when people on this forum have been abusive to me.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    It just seems that more and more we get half a story... but then other things we get so much extra non-information that it's hard to follow what actually IS important in the story... 

Or in the case of non-news we often get so much information that it makes you wonder where the information is in other stories...

And yes, this isn't "news" it's a thing that happened, which given the number of road accidents each year was likely one of only a few dozen accidents that day - at least one of which would have involved serious or fatal injury, and we don't seem to be interested in those for news... but it's much more about the way it's reported than what's being reported. If I'm right and her actions caused this crash, where is the information on her victim?

If you're going to the trouble of reporting on things that happen, give a report on it, don't just stand and point at the thing and hope that's enough
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72483
    Lady
    Castle
    Audi

How much more information do you need? Definitely her fault from just those three words.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited May 2016

BBC?  Erm cast your mind back to when they were gearing up for a Syrian bombing campaign before the Parliamentary vote when the Islamic terrorists were considered 'Freedom Fighters'.  They showed a couple of puffs of a stray mortar round or a targeted missile accompanying a news report of indiscriminate mass high attitude aerial bombing by Assad on civilians.

The BBC and Channel 4 News need disbanding.  They are worse than FOX News.

Newsround in the late '80's was more informative and mature than your average National BBC News broadcast.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26648
    Could it, perhaps, be a distraction from the fact that she caused an accident? There's no mention of how fast the other cars were going - just her word as the apparent victim.
    <space for hire>
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    seems a bit like local news reporting in the local rag to me. Except that it's not "news", and they don't even give half of one party's view point, they just want you to assume the "tattooed biker" is at fault, mainly by reason of his tattoos. Screw 'em.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72483
    Having grown up in the country and knew of several "landed gentry" types who my parents made sure to give a wide berth to on the roads, I would suspect Myranda's analysis is spot on… with the exception that I'd replace 'complacent' with 'arrogant' - or both.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Fear. Uncertainty. Doubt.

You need multiple news sources AND you need to go to the primary source in order to get a true reflection of the reality behind the news.

The news is a smokescreen to push an agenda and they do it deliberately.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    edited May 2016
    Hang on, let me adjust the tin foil around my head!

Right

Carry on!
    :D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Typical shit sheet reporting from the BBC

Business as usual
    Chuffola said:

Right

Carry on!
    Ever heard of GameJournoPros ?
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33804
    I feel the news doesn't give me enough bacon.
    Drew_fx said:
    Chuffola said:

Right

Carry on!
    Nope!
    Chuffola said:
    Drew_fx said:
    Chuffola said:

Right

Carry on!
    Nope!
    Maybe look into it.

You'd be surprised about how much collusion and toeing the party line there is in our media. And it doesn't require tin-foil paranoia to recognise it either! ;)
    I've no doubt mate. It was only in jest.
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    octatonic;1065526" said:
    I feel the news doesn't give me enough bacon.
    I'll give you plenty bacon x
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    A decade ago, a mate of mine was on the front page of the Guardian or Independent (I forget). His then girlfriend had made up a story about him being an entrepreneur. Utterly made up rubbish on the front page of a reputable broadsheet. So much news these days is made up or supplied by PR departments - very often of charities who want publicity...
  • TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    My two pennies is that all news outlets have some sort of agenda and will recount aspects of the story but not the whole story.

It's good in a way that we have t'inferwebs to search from news as I'm convinced the media drip feed us the 'news' they want us to be interested in.

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2927
    I know that junction, used to live not far from there and farther in law lived just refund the corner until a few years ago.  Its quite tricky and the A27 at that point is very busy.