Is there an amp that:

What's Hot
NerineNerine Frets: 2156
Quick back story:

I like my JCM 800 2203. It's awesome. I want it in combo form.

I did consider a 1x12 cab but then it gets a bit dangerous running that head into one speaker. I could use an attenuator and knock 3dB off. But that's another piece of gear to set up at a gig.

So. Basically my requirements are thus:

An amp that is as near as damnit a JCM 800 or very much Marshall.
Combo format.
At least 45-50 watts
Fx loop capable of controlling the volume. I.e. Can boost volume for solos with a pedal.
Don't need a clean channel. The beauty of the 2203 is that one channel basically gives you the platform to do whatever you want..

I can possibly entertain a head and 1x12 cab.

I feel like my options are basically the Friedman Dirty Shirley/Small Box combo and maybe the Victory Sheriff?

Any others I can add to the list to check out?

I find it mildly irritating that Marshall don't make a 2204 reissue in a combo box. Mind you Marshall, other than the vintage reissue and handwired stuff make basically zero that anyone would want to buy. They miss the mark so often with their new products, it's retarded.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72361
    Pull two of the power valves, and then it's a 50W amp and it's safe to run it into a single speaker. (Of at least 65-75W rating, with a Celestion.)

If you want a 2204 in a combo box you can easily buy a 70s Master Volume 50 combo for less than the price Marshall could do a reissue for, or if you want a 1x12" then there's the JCM800 4010 model which is the same amp in a smaller box.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    ICBM;1065964" said:
    Pull two of the power valves, and then it's a 50W amp and it's safe to run it into a single speaker. (Of at least 65-75W rating, with a Celestion.)

If you want a 2204 in a combo box you can easily buy a 70s Master Volume 50 combo for less than the price Marshall could do a reissue for, or if you want a 1x12" then there's the JCM800 4010 model which is the same amp in a smaller box.
    +1 on this, I used to run my Peavey JSX ' minus 2 power valves' (120w was a bit much) but I was advised to pull only the outside pair or the inside pair?

Also as a former owner of a 4010 1x12 it was brilliant at cleanish boosted with pedals etc.
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 783
    Keep your 800 & have a cab made with an electrovoice 12L. You'll never blow it. Also you won't have a combo that weighs a ton but 2 preasonably portable bits of kit. Also with a 1x12 you'll have better dispersion of sound especially if you leave it open backed.
    I have an 2204 clone & the above said cab. It sounds remarkable. 
  • Mjw may make something - I think I've seen a 50 watt Brit Electra on his YouTube. The victory sheriff amps do look well thought out though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72361
    I used to run my Peavey JSX ' minus 2 power valves' (120w was a bit much) but I was advised to pull only the outside pair or the inside pair?
    Yes. You need to pull one of the left-hand pair and one of the right-hand, it doesn't actually matter which. (Although with some very old Marshalls it's best to pull the inside pair, so that might be the simplest rule of thumb in general.)

You also need to set the amp to half the impedance of the cab to retain the correct match, but other than that you don't need to change anything else.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Laney VC combo??
  • MkjackaryMkjackary Frets: 776
    MJW is defenately worth considering. Or how about a jcm 50 watt combo?
    I'm not a McDonalds burger. It is MkJackary, not Mc'Jackary... It's Em Kay Jackary. Mkay?
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Drew_fx;1066040" said:
    Laney VC combo??
    Not really like an 800, it's more like an orange in voicing and gain.