What's your favourite non-amp in a box pedal?

What's Hot
jpttaylorjpttaylor Frets: 465

I'm starting to think that I'm out of step with a lot of pedal when it comes to distortion pedals. The demand for more Marshall-in-a-box type pedals never seems to end, and it's starting to bore me a bit. I've got nothing against the sound per say - there's a reason it's iconic. But surely there's room for a bit more variety?

It's getting to the point where I was looking at the MXR Super Badass Distortion and found reviews that praised it's Marshall-like crunch but also it's non-amp like sound. Well, which is it?

This got me thinking about pedals that don't sound like a Marshall/Mesa and have their own particular sound. Part of the reason I've been eyeing the DOD Gunslinger is because it has a different character from those.

What other great distortion pedals are out there that don't especially sound like amps?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'm the same. I use a boss df-2 - it's amp like in response at mid gain, but doesn't sound like a Marshall or whatever.

Rats are good, too. And muffs.

My other favourite for lead sounds is the boss ds-2 in turbo mode. Stupid name and stuff, but it's chillis at slane castle in a box. Nothing like an amp.

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6222
    tFB Trader
    i guess people use the amp in a box thing to describe tonality... it gives a familiar reference point for people to associate with.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • Oh, tubescreamers!

If an amp sounded like a tubescreamer, it would be... Well, a Blues junior. It's a great sounding pedal but bugger all like an actual amp. Thankfully.

I have heard the maxon sd9 is good, too, sort of fuzz-overdrive. A commonly slightly modded circuit to be boutiqued.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24681
    The new Boss DS-1X is very nice.

The old Zoom range. Hyper Lead, Tri-Metal, Power Drive etc

Marshall Guvnor

DOD Grunge

DOD Gunslinger and Boneshaker
  • Fairly sure the Guv'nor is an amp in a box, or at least that's how Marshall see it!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • I have a couple of favourites at the moment - Buffalo TD-X (Tube Driver clone) and the Peacekeeper. Don't think either were built with the intention of being an amp in a box.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72720
    edited May 2016
    I'm the same. I use a boss df-2 - it's amp like in response at mid gain, but doesn't sound like a Marshall or whatever.

Rats are good, too. And muffs.
    Same as it ever was… DF-2 and Muff for me too :). And the Shin-Ei/Univox Superfuzz.

I've never really got on with amp-in-a-box pedals, I like dirt pedals because they *don't* sound like an amp. I also don't think I've ever heard a pedal that *really* sounds like an amp in a box - because the sound of an amp is more down to the power stage.

The only exception is my Mesa V-Twin, which I do specifically use as an amp substitute when I'm not using my Mesa amp - but never otherwise.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26812
    ThorpyFX said:
    i guess people use the amp in a box thing to describe tonality... it gives a familiar reference point for people to associate with.
    Well, the funny thing to me is that they usually really mean, "I want a pedal that makes one kind of amp sound like a different kind of amp" rather than a real amp-in-a-box thing (or even preamp-in-a-box, which would mean something like the AMT Legend series).
    <space for hire>
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 915
    ProCo Turbo Rat, my favourite distortion box.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • SquireJapanSquireJapan Frets: 721
    SD1 is a classic.

Into a lightly overdriven Marshall it's nice ...

Less so into fender though (for that I'd say a BD2 is better)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    edited May 2016

There are so many great pedals out there its hard to pick a single favourite...

3 that are getting regular useage on my board as of right now are....

Boss OD-3 (set to approx. gain on half)

Dano TOD (Mk I version) Timmy clone allegedly.

Hardwire Overdrive - basically a Tube screamer with a couple of bells n whistles.

Boss OD-3 or Dano TOD basic rock rhythm tone...kick in one of the other 2 over the top to give a gain and volume boost for solos. Works perfect.

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13965
    J Rockett Archer

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    As in all threads about drive pedals, Rat.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Boss SD-1 or MXR GT-OD, I'd happily take either to a jam, not knowing what amp I'd get and know it'll sound good.

MXR's do have their own sound, not that they can't sound similar to other things, they just have the MXR voice.
    Which I like. Mostly cos I'm a gain slag.
    If you're unsure, then try a Distortion 3 or one of the Badass series, you won't go far wrong.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    edited May 2016
    SD1

Tonebender

(Currently enjoying my new Boss Combo Drive which is a somewhat boxy amp in a box pedal ;) )
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    Way Huge Pork Loin and Boss OD-2.
  • Oh man, how did I forget, the mxr dist 3.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9673
    I like the Danelectro FabTone. Powerful eq allows it to cut through anything, or you can just create a dense wall of sound.
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    edited May 2016
    Distortion type pedals wise  (not getting into overdrive or fuzz or muff pedals)
    • Rat
    • T.Rex Mudhoney
    • Akai G-Drive
    • Coopersonic Valveslapper dual tube
    • EQD White Heat
    • VFE Distortion 3
    • MXR Distortion+
    • EQD Crimson Drive
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw