gluing tolex.

jacksparrowjacksparrow Frets: 673
Hey Guys and Gals, what do you reccomend for regluing the tolex on a vintage marshall, the front of mine need a litle bit of glue as where the gold strip splits the front panel it is lifting away a bit.

Was gonna use super glue but it dries so fast and i do not want to make a mess on the tolex.

Cheers and best wishes.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Contact adheisive would be your best bet. Wear a mask though, one rates for organic vapours.
  • Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1528
    Do not use superglue. Evostick is fine for small areas. Make sure it is touch dry before bringing the two surfaces together.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72363
    I usually use white PVA, and hold the vinyl down with masking tape while it dries.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Wade_Garrett;1068931" said:
    Contact adheisive would be your best bet. Wear a mask though, one rates for organic vapours.

That's what I used when swapping the tolex on my amp.  Worked perfectly.

• jacksparrowjacksparrow Frets: 673
    Thanks people i think i will try the evostick as it is a small area and need to pour in and wipe of excess, good idea on the masking tape also.

Thanks and best wishes.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    As @ICBM says, but instead of holding it down with tape,  apply glue with a brush to the wood and the edge of the tolex, get a hot air gun on the edge and heat it until the glue turns tacky, then hold it down with a damp cold sponge. Will stay put that way.

Just be careful with the temperature, you dont want to melt the tolex, just dry the glue out and soften the tolex. This also works well for moulding the tolex round the outer corners as you can stretch it when warm.

One of these days I'm going to video covering a cab.
  • BowynMadleyBowynMadley Frets: 152
    As ICBM said white PVA will work well but buy exterior PVA because that won't react with any moisture it comes into contact with. Standard PVA will emulsify and go gummy.