S-Gear + Laptop Speakers to replace YamahaTHR10???

What's Hot
johnonguitarjohnonguitar Frets: 1243
Ok so I've been pretty happy with THR10 up until I started mainly playing my Les Paul and as awesome as the THR sounds on single coils and heavier bucker tones it just doesn't react as well to my Les Paul as I would like.

So I had been looking at other practice options including the ID Core amps etc but it always came back to how much use I got from the THR as an interface and for foldback from my laptop being too damn handy. I'm always having to practice on the go or in random nooks and crannies.

Anyway, I downloaded S-Gear last night and I feel pretty good about it. Sounds sweet almost straight away. I already have Guitar Rig so I'm sorted for effects (I cannot stand it for amp sims) so all I really need now is some reasonably sized laptop speakers and a very small interface.

Do any of you guys use this sort of travel practice rig? What laptop speakers are y'all using? Which interface should I go for?!

Any help welcome!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1633

There Can Be Only One!

Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6. Totally bus powered and has 2mic/line/highZ inputs* Comes with Cubase A1 which you may not need but is of course the original Vsti platform.

But the biggest and best feature of the KA6 is blindingly low latency plus THE most stable drivers you will see bar RME. The AI will run on any PC OS, macs and even Linux.

*Yes, there are two extra line inputs and two more outputs that you may not need and are paying another £30 or so for but then you COULD hook those up to a mixer or outboard FX?

If on the other hand you want something very cheap which would not make you cry were it nicked? Alesis i02. Not at all bad and 70quid.

Beware the F'rites IMHO. Not good VFM and the instrument inputs have slightly poor headroom (thinking of LP?)

Then there are the Behringers. Ok it seems but no proper drivers and I doubt the latency will be good enough for "jammin'"

Dave.

• johnonguitarjohnonguitar Frets: 1243
    ecc83;1070822" said:
    There Can Be Only One!Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6. Totally bus powered and has 2mic/line/highZ inputs* Comes with Cubase A1 which you may not need but is of course the original Vsti platform. But the biggest and best feature of the KA6 is blindingly low latency plus THE most stable drivers you will see bar RME. The AI will run on any PC OS, macs and even Linux. *Yes, there are two extra line inputs and two more outputs that you may not need and are paying another £30 or so for but then you COULD hook those up to a mixer or outboard FX? If on the other hand you want something very cheap which would not make you cry were it nicked? Alesis i02. Not at all bad and 70quid. Beware the F'rites IMHO. Not good VFM and the instrument inputs have slightly poor headroom (thinking of LP?) Then there are the Behringers. Ok it seems but no proper drivers and I doubt the latency will be good enough for "jammin'"Dave.
    Hey thanks for the reply :) I haven't actually tried the Komplete interface yet but good to hear a glowing recommendation!

I actually have a Focusrite DSP 24 for use at home but I was after something much smaller with just a single guitar input, possibly like iRig or similar for travel purposes
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    I use Sgear all the time. All my soundcloud stuff is recorded through it.

For a travel rig I was using a lenovo i5 laptop (fairly budget one from 2013) with a Komplete Audio 6 and headphones.

It works really well and you can squeeze all of that into most laptop bags. Worth the better interface for decent latency and headphone out imo.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • johnonguitarjohnonguitar Frets: 1243
    Ok so I've been playing on the free trial version all day.... And I've got a pub gig tonight where I MUST go direct... And I just sold my Fly Rig, my Helix isn't going to be here until June, I coooould use the Tech 21 Liverpool and there's gonna be a Pod HD there anyway.... But I'm gonna take my laptop stand and use S-Gear. I played for about 3 hours today with touching a button. That's when you know your happy with what you're hearing. Wish me luck :)

If you're ever going to randomly turn up with your laptop and some trial license modelling software to do a gig then this is that gig :D
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom