Attenuators with DI out?

preston61preston61 Frets: 690
edited May 2016 in Amps
So I have started recording more at home but most of the time I do that is when the kids are in bed and so I can't really mic up my tone king imperial.

So what I'm looking for is an attenuator that I can use to turn the amp down to pretty much silent and then DI straight into my DAW

I know that Tone King do the Iron Man, which was designed for the imperial, but are there any cheaper alternatives?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6197
    tFB Trader
    the swart night light has a line out
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Jettenuator, I've got one and it's brilliant!
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6176
    THD Hotplate. some Weber MASS.

If you're doing cabinet emulation/IR stuff in your DAW, then you can use any dummy load and just MacGyver the line out with two wires and a jack socket. Add a level pot for higher amp amp outputs.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17652
    tFB Trader
    I have a Sequis Motherload Elemental in the classifieds. 

You won't find anything better. 
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    Suhr Reactive load or Rivera Rockcrusher. I have both and the sound excellent.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26671
    I've got a RAT Amps dummy load which would be perfect for this. It's resistive rather than reactive, so it probably won't sound good enough for proper album-quality recording, but it's also incredibly cheap. Yours for £35 delivered.
    <space for hire>
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31632
    timmysoft said:
    Jettenuator, I've got one and it's brilliant!
    Me too.

• SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
    I've been getting a lot of help from ICBM, ECC83 and others on another thread re this

You can make your own - you need a wire wound resistor to represent your speaker load (something like 24 ohms / to mimic a 16 ohm and 12 ohm To represent 8 ohm

Wattage will be dependent on the amp you want to use, but go large as the unused power is dissipated as heat

Tap an 82k resistor in series with 5k linear pot and an output jack, all in parallel to the wire wound resistor that provides the speaker load
    The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72510
    The 82K is not at all critical - in fact it's rather an odd value to pick, 100K is just as good and easier to get - likewise 10K for the pot. The values only affect the output voltage range, so could be usefully varied depending on the power of the amp too - the higher the power the larger the pad resistor value to give the same output voltage.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    THD Hotplate sounds shockingly bad though.....
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    i have a rat attenuator too. didn't sound too bad when i tried it to play along to mp3 on headphones
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26671
    i have a rat attenuator too. didn't sound too bad when i tried it to play along to mp3 on headphones
    Yeah...the problems become apparent when you try to do a proper mix with them, and the low-end has this fuzziness to it that just feels wrong for just about anything except punk. The Jettenuator does the same thing.

They're excellent value for silent practice, but not for real recording.
    <space for hire>
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    i like a punky sound, so i probably didn't notice. lol.
  • Van_HaydenVan_Hayden Frets: 437
    I'm highly impressed with the Torpedo Reload. It's very good and has a re-amp box included which is handy if you want to go back to your parts and reamp when making a noise isn't an issue. Some say it was a "major" influence on the Suhr reactive load. 
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    digitalscream;1071708" said:
    pintspiller said:

Yeah...the problems become apparent when you try to do a proper mix with them, and the low-end has this fuzziness to it that just feels wrong for just about anything except punk. The Jettenuator does the same thing.

I haven't had that with the jettenuator, the recording I've done with it so far has been good, I only got flubby low end at high gain when the line level was either under 2 or over 7, in the middle it was fine
  • Pete Thorn has a great video where he compares recordings with different loads and it really shows the impact of the better dynamic loads vs. the static loads.

I think it's this one, towards the end:

Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31632
    timmysoft;1072365" said:
    [quote="digitalscream;1071708"]pintspiller said:

I haven't had that with the jettenuator, the recording I've done with it so far has been good, I only got flubby low end at high gain when the line level was either under 2 or over 7, in the middle it was fine
    [/quote]

Me neither, but I don't use much gain anyway.