SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD - Washburn Stage A20 MIJ - £175

What's Hot
goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6261
edited May 2016 in Guitars £
One from the vaults: this is a MIJ Washburn from the very early 1980s. Same era and construction as the Falcon range. So it has neck-through body, brass nut, saddles and fret position markers, push/pull coiltaps for each pickup, etc.

See here for info: http://www.matsumoku.org/models/washburn/stage/stage.html

(More pix later)

It's in a 'look at me' fire-engine red colour.  There was some connection to the band 'Spider' - who were endorsees at the time. I think it was a competition prize. It has a few gouges on the side/back, but the front just has some surface scratches and you can see where the paint has sunken into the wood grain. All electronics work, although the pickup selector is dirty and makes the neck pickup position intermittent).

Why so cheap? There is a small crack on the back of the guitar that follows one of the wood joints (see photo). It hasn't grown at all in the years I've owned it. It runs from the strap button, and I wonder if that took a whack at some point in its life.

Price: £175, collection from North Cambridge

PS: lovely sofa also for sale! £15 :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12694
    PM sent
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6261
    edited May 2016
    More photos:

And here's a photo of the chap from Spider with this model of guitar from back in the day:

On hold for the moment.
  • keithfkeithf Frets: 372
    edited May 2016

@goldtop

baggsies 2nd dibs if you're ok to post.

Disregard, I've found another :)

Back for sale, as the guy who was keen decided he couldn't afford it. But helpfully he was in touch with Dave Bryce and confirmed the Spider connection.

So dust off your bright red strides and get the perfect guitar for strutting. ;)
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2429
    Love these Uncle Mats rockers, is that a pair of mmk45's in there?
    > mmk45

Is that the model of pickup? I'm not sure, and I haven't disassembled it to find out. They are the originals though (I can tell by the use of three screws for pickup height/angle adjustment (instead of the usual two).

The Spiderfan who was unable to follow through with the purchase has updated the Spider Facebook page and it turns out that this IS guitar that was used by Dave Bryce, on the tour that preceded the Breakaway single, and this guitar was then given away in a competition for buyers of that single. So it's the actual one pictured above, and on this sleeve photo:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Yes mmk45's are matsumoku pickups but I've not seen them with 3 adjustment screws before, would you mind slackening off the strings and have a wee peek at the pickups my good man? All in the interests of knowledge!
    I'll try to find the time, but it's a low priority. What marks/sticker/etc would I be looking for?

FWIW, these look like the exact same pickups that were on the A20V I bought in about 1980. The Falcon/Eagle models also have the same three-screw design. I recall especially frustrated that fitting the Dimarzio X2N I'd bought for mine was more tricky than I thought.
    No sweat, if they're mmks they'll have a stamp underneath.
  • zepromzzepromz Frets: 37
    PM'd
    bump - still available.