School me on some of the hidden gems of vintage Fender lower wattage circuits

What's Hot
nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
edited May 2016 in Amps
So I've got the Plexi and Blackface large amps covered but have been trying to delve in to the intricacies of vintage Fender circuits to find myself the ideal home/garage/recording amp.

I started out going through the old tweed era like the 5c2 and 5f2a and even the White amp but then stumbled in to the brownface era!

So far it's looking like a 6g2 Brownface Princeton may be the ticket with still plenty of gain available but smoother than a tweed and not as scooped as a blackface. Still seems to have a clearness on the cleans but not as sparkly as the later bf designs. The Brownface tremolo is also my favourite design so that would be a massive bonus.

I know 12watts would still be pretty loud for home use but if I kept to the 10 inch less efficient speaker and smaller cab I could convince myself it is. I plan on getting something by a UK builder once I know what the main inspiration for the circuit is likely to be. There will no doubt be a few tweaks depending on whoever builds it and the big decision over speaker choice and cab design will also impact the overall output and tone as well.

I know I'm limiting myself by looking at only Fenders but I don't fancy an el84 amp and it's enough of a minefield with all the variations Leo and his crew did without complicating it with all the other manufacturers of the 50s and 60s!

So are there any other vintage Fender circuits you good folk would recommend taking a look at that would fit the bill for 12watts (only as the 6g2 is 12 watts ;) ) or less that don't get to fizzy or muddy when cranked and actually have usable cleans as well?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• uncledickuncledick Frets: 406
    Check out the Doug & Pat Show for their round up of 50s and 60s practice amps.  Not sure if they go into the detail you want but well worth a listen.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3174
    tFB Trader
    6G2 :)
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
    Check out the Doug & Pat Show for their round up of 50s and 60s practice amps.  Not sure if they go into the detail you want but well worth a listen.
    Cheers, it just so happens that was on the playlist the other day :)

6G2 :)
    It all keeps coming back to this for some reason!!
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    The Brown Tolex amps are great, and have rather fallen fallen off the radar.

I personally prefer the Brown Deluxe (6G3) to the 6G2 Princeton, but either are great amps.
  • nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
    edited May 2016

I personally prefer the Brown Deluxe (6G3) to the 6G2 Princeton, but either are great amps.
    What gives the 6g3 the edge for you? I take it there's more headroom from the 20watts and less sag with the gz34. Thanks for any info you can give
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    nickb_boy said:
    @jpfamps;1073647" said:

What gives the 6g3 the edge for you? I take it there's more headroom from the 20watts and less sag with the gz34. Thanks for any info you can give
    There is more headroom, and in my opinion the amp distorts in a more pleasing fashion when cranked. Works really well with humbuckers, which is not always the case with early Fender amps.

I think the LTP phase inverter helps too in the 6G3.

I've helped a couple of people with Princeton projects and from my experience using the LTP rather than the concertina improves the sound.

That is not to say the 6G2 is not a good amp, and would certainly not be upset if I had to use one at a gig.

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3497
    Good thread.  I didn't really know much about Brownface Fender Princetons and Deluxes.  Checked out a few videos and they sound superb.  More earthy than their Blackface counterparts to my ears. 
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3497
    I saw a Brownface Deluxe in Hank's in Tin Pan Alley, priced at a cool £2.5k... 
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    I used to run two brown deluxes in tandem. Awesome sound. Wish I still had them now.