Marshall Valvestate 2000 footswitch question

What's Hot
dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
Just a quick question on behalf of a friend's son, regarding his Valvestate 2000 footswitch cable. Apparently his is knackered and needs replacing.

The cable in question looks like a PC monitor cable.

IS IT POSSIBLE to use a monitor cable? Or does he need to buy a proper replacement (I doubt he'd be up to soldering, and I haven't offered... yet).
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1638

No it is not a VGA cable. They have 3 rows of pins (and are SODS to wire!).

That is a 15pin "D sub" and if it is a simple "all pins wired" jobbie you should be able to find one on the infernalnet.

Push comes to, give Blackstar a bell. The Series One FX cable is a 15 pin APW piece and I cannot think Marshall would wire one any differently?

Dave.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    ecc83 said:

No it is not a VGA cable. They have 3 rows of pins (and are SODS to wire!).

Dave.

Yes, you're absolutely right! Thanks Dave. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72510
    Be aware that *both* ends of this cable have female connectors - many computer-type ones with similar connectors available online have one female and one male, so won't fit unless you also buy a 'gender changer' connector.

I would like to find whoever designs amps with stupid non-standard multi-pin footswitch connectors and shoot them...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks @ICBM. Yes I'd noticed that.
    ICBM said:

I would like to find whoever designs amps with stupid non-standard multi-pin footswitch connectors and shoot them...

Having had to track down a footswitch for my old Peavey Classic Chorus 130, I couldn't agree more! 
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1638

HAD not noticed the female ends!

But though t that might be an "example" and not THE cable in question?

The S1 cable is M to F so looks no used to you unless you get a gender changer.

In B's defence, that is a "standard" cable if a little hard to source!

Dave.

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    ICBM said:
    Be aware that *both* ends of this cable have female connectors - many computer-type ones with similar connectors available online have one female and one male, so won't fit unless you also buy a 'gender changer' connector.

Recently fixed a Roland GR300 which has a cable with custom-made connectors. 

I'm sure it seemed a good idea at the time.

Use standard parts!!!
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28546
    In case it helps, that  is a DA15 connector.

I'll be surprised if you can find one off the shelf.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    jpfamps said:
    Same here! No alternative but to carefully disassemble and repair three of the connectors - the one on the floor box just needed cleaning.

So many pins also inherently increases the probability of problems too. When I first got it, one string was making occasional random noises and that was it. I would hate to rely on one for playing live...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    ICBM said:
    jpfamps said:
    Same here! No alternative but to carefully disassemble and repair three of the connectors - the one on the floor box just needed cleaning.

So many pins also inherently increases the probability of problems too. When I first got it, one string was making occasional random noises and that was it. I would hate to rely on one for playing live...
    The one I had had several issues (other than the horrific sounds it made).

Other than the cable having a break in one of the wires which meant I had to cut the end off the cable and rewire it, one of the regulators in the control unit had died.

I changed this and the unit worked except one string could not be tuned, which I guessed was the 14069 chip in the detector circuit.

The owner was happy with the repair, but after a couple of weeks brought it back because the touch vibrato pad on the guitar wasn't working. 

I have to admit I wasn't even aware that this function existed, and owner only found out through reading the manual.

Fortunately this was a bad solder joint on the vibrato pot.

Using one live would, in my opinion, but daft.
    I've got this one working reasonably reliably, although the A and B buttons sometimes need a very firm press to make them work.

The biggest problem for practical live use is the total lack of programmability, you're essentially limited to one sound unless you have a photographic memory for the many control settings.

And I'd still want a spare cable if I was even going to think about owning it...

Sporky said:
    In case it helps, that  is a DA15 connector.

I'll be surprised if you can find one off the shelf.
    Typical!

Thanks for the info guys. I suspect that the lad is just going to have to bite the bullet and buy the proper cable.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28546
    If Marshall still make and sell the cables then get one from them - you know it'll work.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    It might be cheaper and easier to buy a scrap amp of the same type providing it definitely comes with the footswitch cable. That way you probably get a spare footswitch too.

Frankly I wouldn't spend a lot of money on it since AVTs are not exactly renowned for reliability.

• professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    ecc83;1078516" said:
    HAD not noticed the female ends! But though t that might be an "example" and not THE cable in question? The S1 cable is M to F so looks no used to you unless you get a gender changer. In B's defence, that is a "standard" cable if a little hard to source!Dave.
    I ALWAYS notice females ends......
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    It might be cheaper and easier to buy a scrap amp of the same type providing it definitely comes with the footswitch cable. That way you probably get a spare footswitch too.

Frankly I wouldn't spend a lot of money on it since AVTs are not exactly renowned for reliability.
    Haha, well I couldn't possibly comment!

Yep, definitely a case of having to go down the 'genuine part' route. Apparently they've checked them out and they cost between £20-30. Which seems  little steep for a wire. Ahhh... now thats why they don't use standard parts!
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2478
    are you sure it's not a DB15 connector (bit bigger spacing than a DA15)?
    If it is you could do this:-
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gameport-Extension-Cable-DB15-male-to-female-5m-/351673204453
    +
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DB15-Pin-Male-to-Female-Gender-Changer-Converter-/301684871884

but if the official spare is £20 - £30 I'd probably get that instead.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.