Maxon SD9 stock vs Analogman.

What's Hot
StrummyBrummieStrummyBrummie Frets: 266
I know the basic Analogman mod is supposed to make the tone control (which is crazy bright on the stock model) usable through its entire range but does it alter the character of the pedal? I know the website says it doesn't, but I'm just wondering how the claim tallies with people's experience. Any other thoughts on the subject would be most welcome also.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Magnetic_EffectsMagnetic_Effects Frets: 135
    tFB Trader
    Haven't tried the Analogman but Ibanez have their own modified version of the SD-9 which may be of interest. Switches for more mids and more gain.

• Pete24vPete24v Frets: 235
    One of my favourite pedals.. Had an original, the ibanez mods and the Analogman Maxon version.

I wouldn't say the tone control alters the sound of the distortion compared to stock, it does stay darker for longer.. Which I like.

The Analogman Maxon version is the pedal I kept.
  • Thanks @Magnetic_Effects & @Pete24v.

I haven't tried any of the Ibanez versions of the pedal, but the comparison I am most interested in at the moment is the current stock Maxon version of the pedal & the same with the Analogman mod. There is a modded version on eBay right now & I was half considering making an offer. Anyone else with any experience?
    I sent my Maxon to Analogman, with $$ shoved in the battery compartment.

Make the offer, it's a great pedal.

Obviously I couldn't try them side by side, but it was better when it came back, not as harsh and the tone control was more useful.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @Pete24v you make it hard to resist...
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    Got them both - the analogman version is much better, yes, it makes the tone control useable, mine has the external midrange control too that really allows you to dial in a sound.

I don't think the analogman mod changes the base sound of the pedal, however the mod allows you to change it - especially with the mid range mod.

I think it's fair to say the base sound is still the SD9 but it's certainly more rich and with the better EQ setup you can make it thicker and dial out a bit of the shrill.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Mine has the mid control inside on a trim pot, not even tried adjusting it, sounds great where he set it.
    darcym;1078035" said:

I think it's fair to say the base sound is still the SD9 but it's certainly more rich and with the better EQ setup you can make it thicker and dial out a bit of the shrill.
    This!
  • Ok. Sorely, sorely tempted now.. But should I wait & get one with the added mid control? He doesn't mention an internal mid control in his ad, I'll have to ask him.

Thanks for taking the time to comment everyone, it's been very helpful.
    edited May 2016
    It was a $15 option when ordering the mod, remove the 4 screws on the bottom place, then another screw to remove the board and you'll see the trim pot if it has one.

• @Pete24v Nice one.
  • He's only gone and sold it while I was prevaricating. The bastard.
  • guitarpologuitarpolo Frets: 120
    I've had both more than once and I don't think the Analogman one is better for the way in which most people use the pedal. With the tone control up that small fraction it's one of the best sounds with a strat...unless you need to tweak for different types of guitars I would save your money and get the stock. Good enough for Henderson, Landau and Krantz:-)
  • guitarpolo;1078764" said:
    I've had both more than once and I don't think the Analogman one is better for the way in which most people use the pedal. With the tone control up that small fraction it's one of the best sounds with a strat...unless you need to tweak for different types of guitars I would save your money and get the stock. Good enough for Henderson, Landau and Krantz:-)

That is precisely how I was planning to use it... It's almost as if you are saying that I should buy a piece of gear to do the job I need it to do, and not fork out for loads of extra functionality I don't need and am never going to use.... Well, it's a bit mad but I suppose I could try it.