Modding FENDER BLUES JUNIOR or sell and buy used .. What?

What's Hot
benn looking at the Rat amp mods and tying to decide whether to pull the trigger on this for my blues junior or simply sell the bj and buy a boutique amp used that will do a similar job. What are your views? If I am to go the sell and buy route what should I put on my wish list?
Ta
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• matonematone Frets: 211
    Buy an amp you like !

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6841
    tFB Trader
    I had a Rat modded Princeton for a couple of weeks, meant to have had umpteen things done to it but only thing I noticed was the reverb was a bit more 'lush' than on an un-modded one.

I personally wouldn't believe the hype....and I like to believe the hype....
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • miserneil said:
    I had a Rat modded Princeton for a couple of weeks, meant to have had umpteen things done to it but only thing I noticed was the reverb was a bit more 'lush' than on an un-modded one.

I personally wouldn't believe the hype....and I like to believe the hype....
    Thanks that is useful information
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4801
    I used to own a RAT-modded Epi Valve Jr, and it was pretty good. Low noise floor, decent sounds through the 8in Celestion speaker and different ones through a 1x12 and a 4x12. A hugely different beast to the standard product. So my experience of his work was positive. Sorry I sold it, TBH, but I wanted a Cornford Harlequin, too, and couldn't justify two amps for home use. 

I'd sell the Blues Jr and upgrade, myself... 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    I like his stuff. I've got a Blackheart Killer Ant and a Blackheart Little Giant that he modded and they sound great. I think he knows his stuff and it's not just hype.
  • BowynMadleyBowynMadley Frets: 152
    In my opinion modded stuff will always carry the stigma of "has some cretin with a soldering iron and a degree in applied bollocks been messing about with this amp?" That is unless it has a techs name attached to it like Caesar Diaz etc. Plus anything modded can be difficult when it comes to resale.

I'd say flog the blues junior and do a bit if shopping. Scour the music shops and find out what tickles your pickle. Then short list them and either buy one of those or find a boutique builder that will fulfill your needs :)

Bo

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31634
    Get rid of it. The RAT guy is pretty good, but the Blues Jr needs every mod going but most especially a new cabinet to sound good. It's just not worth it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DanDan Frets: 441
    Ive had a bilm modded blues jr and i though it was great.....until you play something else. I would sell and get something more suitable for you. Cheap option would be hot rod deluxe.