New to fuzz - Best fuzz for Hendrix (White Atom any good?)

What's Hot
Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3476
edited May 2016 in FX
As the title says, I'm new to fuzz and like what Gary Clarke Jr does on "You Saved Me" (), what Bellamy does for Muse, QOTSA and most of all Jimi's stuff (important)...ooh and Gilmours early stuff (obviously!) like Pompeii era.

Intrigued by the White Atom and if it'll cover all those bases? If not, do you have any recommendations? Cost isn't an issue but I'm not much into buying original fuzz faces or vintage stuff, I prefer new gear and modern gear.

Gary Clarke Jr uses the Astro Tone Fuzz from Analogman but it's kind of specific and I want a more rounded and versatile fuzz. Also can do without importing anything from Analogman tbh.

Cheers
Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    edited May 2016
    The White Atom is excellent and a good place to start your fuzz journey as it's pretty versatile and relatively unfussy as to where you stick it signal chain wise. You won't cover all the bases you mentioned in your original post with it though, although you should be able to get close enough to whet your appetite.

It will do the Hendrix silicon fuzz face stuff well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks @simonk, I'm definitely intrigued to try it. In terms of good places to start for Hendrix, do you have any better recommendations?

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16301
    Dunlop mini Hendrix fuzz face? That should be pretty Hendrixy. B-)
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Jonathanthomas83;1081808" said:
    Thanks @simonk, I'm definitely intrigued to try it. In terms of good places to start for Hendrix, do you have any better recommendations?
    Only a fuzz face or clone, of which there are hundreds. I like the Jam Fuzz Phrase - there was a lengthy discussion regarding Jam pedals on here recently which might be worth looking up. Be aware that fuzz faces and the like are generally fussy about power and placement though.

I'd ease yourself in with the White Atom. Christian from Magnetic Effects is a good chap and on here too.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24624
    Guitarsystems Fuzztool Jnr.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Magnetic_EffectsMagnetic_Effects Frets: 135
    tFB Trader
    I think there is a video somewhere with the White Atom playing some Gary Clark. Let me see if I can find it.
  • Awesome, thanks @magnetic_effects. How does it go for Hendrix?

edited May 2016 tFB Trader
    @Jonathanthomas83 Here is a Gary Clark video lesson from JJ Tanis where he uses the White Atom for the guitar tones. 

The White Atom can do Fuzz Face-ish stuff but with more definition in the low end, so Hendrix type tones are possible.  (The Fuzz Face is a bit more "loose" sounding in the low end.)

• @magnetic_effects, I spoke to Chris from @custompedalboards earlier and he recommended this to me, wasn't on my radar before today...however, it really is on my radar now. Sounds like it gets pretty close for GCJr - although Tanis needs to turn the Tone down a hair to get more bass. Just saw Mike Hermans video and he does a bit of Foxy Lady and it gets close enough for me. 

Really good to hear that the White Atom will give more definition in the low end, I'll be happier with that. And not to mention the price point, very happy with that.

I'll be ordering soon! :-) 

Thanks for your help.

tFB Trader
    No problem, let me know if you have any more questions.
  • CustomPedalBoardsCustomPedalBoards Frets: 104
    edited May 2016
    @magnetic_effects, I spoke to Chris from @custompedalboards earlier and he recommended this to me, wasn't on my radar before today...however, it really is on my radar now. Sounds like it gets pretty close for GCJr - although Tanis needs to turn the Tone down a hair to get more bass. Just saw Mike Hermans video and he does a bit of Foxy Lady and it gets close enough for me. 

Really good to hear that the White Atom will give more definition in the low end, I'll be happier with that. And not to mention the price point, very happy with that.

Thanks for your help.

Good lad! Yes like I said on phone I really like the white atom fuzz. Gary Clark Jr has this upper octave thing going on with his fuzz like a kinda Leeds supafuzz octavio kinda thing.
    for all things pedal boards please visit www.custompedalboards.co.uk
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    edited May 2016
    a Fuzz Face

this may interest you: here
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6220
    tFB Trader
    @magnetic_effects, I spoke to Chris from @custompedalboards earlier and he recommended this to me, wasn't on my radar before today...however, it really is on my radar now. Sounds like it gets pretty close for GCJr - although Tanis needs to turn the Tone down a hair to get more bass. Just saw Mike Hermans video and he does a bit of Foxy Lady and it gets close enough for me. 

Thanks for your help.

the white atom is a fantastic fuzz pedal, very versatile without getting too crazy like a fuzz factory, HIGHLY recommended!
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Forge effects can make u am nkt275 fuzz without asking for a King's ransom. He is passionate about fuzzes and really knows his stuff.
  • BBBluesBBBlues Frets: 635
    Gary has used many fuzz pedals including the Astrotone and Scott Mckeon fuzz but he mainly uses a big box fulltone octafuzz in the fuzz setting. The fulltone fuzz pedals are great, I especially think the 69 fuzz is one of the most musical and practical fuzz pedals around. I have a big box 69 with NKT275s - lovely! I think there's one on eBay at the mo too.
  • @BBBlues, mainly looking for the one he used on You Saved Me - video above. I assumed it was the Astrotone?

@Branshen, thanks, I'll take a look!

• lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    The old fuzz faces from 67 were used to boost hendrix's signal to drive his marshalled into further overdrive and tonal control via the vol pot on his strat. Think red house US version where he almost borders on full out fuzz for his solo though you'd never think it was fuzz. Pedalboard estate and prices rule out the vintage option. I've gone with the incredible Sonus fuzz range. I have both the 1968 Jimi mod with nkt 275 (though the cheaper 271 is identical). The bc108 is great for later Jimi but I prefer the 68. The octavium is incredible too but doesn't permit the volume pot control. Patrizio from sonus is one of the top Hendrix players on YouTube (vibratory); his passion goes far in producing true Hendrix tone fuzz.
    Don't confuse Sonus with Sonuus.
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    I think there are still a few NKT275 Pigdog Spacefaces left. Freakin cool enclosure

http://my-eshop.info/epages/42f8d81e-fd82-4a82-9f9b-629115e8b26b.mobile/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/42f8d81e-fd82-4a82-9f9b-629115e8b26b/Products/"SPACE%20FACE"
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16152
    Keeley Monterey will do ALL the Hendrix you want - good value package considering it is 5 pedals in one
  • So I got the @magnetic_effects white atom in the mail today, spent like 10 minutes with it and it just clicked. You know when you get a pedal and it's like the sound in your head? This is it. It's versatile beyond belief, covers a mental amount of ground and pretty sure it can tick all the boxes I wanted it to in some way or another.

I love it and pretty sure I'm not going to fall into the fuzz rabbit hole because of it! Thanks guys for the advice and to Christian for making an amazing pedal! Highly recommended, both for tones and for customer service.