Marshall Valvestate 8100 head + 4x12

What's Hot
Lez325Lez325 Frets: 82
I have been offered one of these amps plus a 4x12 Cab for around £250 collected from a place 100 miles away from my home

Are these Amps any good & what should I look out for prior to parting with some hard earned??

Cheers guy's

Les :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• gubblegubble Frets: 1749
    edited May 2016

They are great amps but In the current environment I'd say that's quite a lot of money.

The heads usually go for under £100 and a valvestate 4x12 is as cheap as they come - I only got £50 for mine when I sold my valvestate 4x12.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24470
    A great amp, but that is over priced.

• Lez325Lez325 Frets: 82
    edited May 2016
    Thanks guys - I thought it was a nice Cheap Marshall Rig :)

I'll stick with my current set up of a Marshall DSL 15c combo and a 1x12 cab- he did want a straight swop for this set up lol

Les 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72510
    As already said - great amp, and 'worth' at least that in function terms, but more than the market rate. If you were specifically looking for one and it was in perfect condition - and closer - I'd maybe think about it, but otherwise I wouldn't bother... they're not that rare. As gubble said, around £150 for the stack in average condition is much closer to the mark.

The heads also do often need some maintenance now too - they're very reliable when serviced, but not always if they've not been looked at since they were made 20+ years ago.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Lez325Lez325 Frets: 82
    edited May 2016
    I have declined the deal - I see now on Gumtree he has dropped the stack to a more reasonable £180

I am looking for a giggable set up ( 50w + head and cab) and using my Marshall DSL 15w combo + 1x12 cab as part of the deal process

The  Marshall combo set me back £485 the 1 x 12 Marshall cab £190  ( £675)  so I'm not into a swap for a £180 set up :)

Les 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72510
    This might not be much fun to read, but you can get a Jet City JCA50 head for £263 and a 2x12" cab for £133 - or the arguably better Harley Benton G212V, which has a pair of V30s, for £171 - brand new. They're definitely better-built than the Marshall, and most people would say better-sounding. The only real disadvantage - if you use it - is no reverb.

Even though it doesn't sound like a good swap financially, it would be an upgrade in quality and volume terms.

You may be better to simply sell the Marshall set-up, if you can get £400 for it. You could then even buy the Jet City rig new, and not be out of pocket.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Keep an eye out for blackheart amps, too. They're supposed to be decent build, solid pcb and half decent transformers in a far eastern amp.

They're mostly old school Marshall style circuits, and can be had for a very reasonable price.
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1749
    As @ICBM says the Jet City is the way to go - it's a no brainer. I loved mine and with the Harley Benton 212 it was the best high gain set up I've ever had.