Mmmmmmvibey....

What's Hot
CustomPedalBoardsCustomPedalBoards Frets: 104
Well I must say this does look rather spiffing! http://www.shin-ei.com/ Massive, 700dollars, 200 extra fer the speed pedal, but it does look very tasty in a chewy vintage styley way.
for all things pedal boards please visit www.custompedalboards.co.uk
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    edited May 2016

Digital univibe. yuck.

[ EDIT:  N.B. a short while later, a bit below, I hold back on this assertion.  26/5. ]
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ro_S said:

Digital univibe. yuck.

I didn't know they were digital back in the 60's?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2016
    exactly, they weren't.

but this expensive 'reissue' is digital.  no bulbs/photocells.

huge pass from me.  not interested.

[ EDIT:   N.b. a short while later, a bit below, I hold back on this assertion.  26/5. ]

over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • No light bulbs! Whatever next! How come? They say it don't have them? No mention in the ad, say original parts etc
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2016
    No light bulbs! Whatever next! How come? They say it don't have them? No mention in the ad, say original parts etc

The give away in the official literature is the phrase, ''Engineered with the goal of achieving the ultimate tone and replication of the sound [my emphasis] of our historic Honey and Shin-ei vintage Uni-Vibe units''
    Also, nowhere does it mention bulbs, LDRs or photocells or such.  If it did, they'd mention it!  
    Usual disguised marketing.

• It sounds great tho! Might be something to do with rhos I reckon.
    edited May 2016

p.s.  oh, hang on. i may have confused this with the Korg one (!)   

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    plus the shin-ei write up blurb says,

"we wanted to recreate the past as closely as possible and yet add some modern day design techniques without denigrating the natural tone and personality of the original circuit."

Sounds like a euphemism for ''we used some digital technology and it isn't authentic in all respects''

I'm still dubious.

• lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    I wrote them asking for an internal photo to show the true vibe lovers the attention they've put in though no reply has been forthcoming. Whereas the vibes produced by classic amplification look a lot more reliable. Anyone's feedback on their work would be much appreciated. I have their vibe baby and it is very close with a superb cancel pre amp tone.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318

I can just about afford this Tee shirt.
    edited May 2016
    lukedlb said:
    I wrote them asking for an internal photo to show the true vibe lovers the attention they've put in though no reply has been forthcoming. 
    ominous

• BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    The term replication means replication, it could be an analog replication, and not necessarily digital.

Modern day design techniques are probably referring to true bypass switching, switchable power input voltage, and speed knob disable on attachment of treadle.

I don't think anything in the literature indicates that this is a digital pedal. It also doesn't mention analog circuitry but I would assume that it is.
    edited May 2016
    Branshen said:
    The term replication means replication, it could be an analog replication, and not necessarily digital.

Modern day design techniques are probably referring to true bypass switching, switchable power input voltage, and speed knob disable on attachment of treadle.

I don't think anything in the literature indicates that this is a digital pedal. It also doesn't mention analog circuitry but I would assume that it is.

It says replication of the sound, only; not replication of the circuit.    

Yes, it could be analogue.

Stuff in the official blurb implies - or it culd be inferred as meaning -  it could be digital.

For £500 or whatever I wouldn't want to assume anything.

If it is digital, do you think they're gonna mention it in the sales blurb?

Fair point, we'll see if they clarify.
    edited May 2016

I hope the ''old-school guys'' and "Vibe gods" in the so-called '"Shin-ei Tone Team" (pfft) can enlighten us.  

Someone on the official Facebook page has posted:

"Wasn't impressed with any of the clips and have owned 3 original Shin-ei Univibes. None of the clips sound anything like one."

• lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    There's another guy making faithful vibe replicas for almost the same price as a vintage: unique vibe.
    Classic amplification are the go to vintage vibe repair team in the US with their own builds and kits too.
    update....

i have received this from shin-ei:

It's basically the original first year Honey Uni-Vibe circuit (cells, bulb etc.)with some creative circuitry for the bypass/preamp signal path.

We don't use FET's and the unit has a very quiet internal transformer. We wanted to recreate the original units with a small bit of refinement.

Nice one. Cheers for the update.
  • ah now i remember, this is the page i liked last yr or so: https://www.facebook.com/uniquevibe/
    this dude is making the handmade stuff, and his new all in 1 unit (like the old hurricane/surf/siren units) looks awesome!