Amp GAS help

What's Hot
DaevidJDaevidJ Frets: 414
Whilst i am content on the guitar front one thing i have always struggled with is finding a decent amplifier.  I am currently using a Blackstar HT-20 which is just not providing me with the sounds that i am after and my Mesa Studio 22+ is also not cutting (for me) the sonic mustard).  

So i had a think about what it is i am after and it basically boils down to this:

a) A Blackface Deluxe style clean tone but has a amp based gain stage for rocking out;
b) Has an effects loop so i can use Tremolo, Chorus and delay effects;
c) Is not Twin or Mark heavy;
d) Can be used mic'd in a gigging environment;
e) Has a decent tank reverb.

I currently use a PRS Mira and an AV 65 Jaguar, and the style of music for the band i play in can be roughly described as following an alternative rock bent with elements of rockabilly/ surf/ punk.

Amps i have considered include Fender Prosonic, Mesa 5:25.

Budget would be £600 to at a real push £700...

So i guess the question to you fellow forumites is... what else is out there that might fit what appears my rather niche parameters? :D
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1638
    edited May 2016

Have to say don't I? The new Blackstar Artist .

I hefted one the other day, nowhere NEAR the mass of an Artisan 30.

6L6, said to be pretty loud. Two channels: Clean and cleanish. Voiced differently from other Blackstars and really designed as a pedal platform.

I don't suppose you would give a "tranny" van room* but the new ID Core 100 and 150 combos look very interesting?

*Mind you, I can see them becoming the go-to backup amp!

Dave.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72510
    A Fender Rivera-era Deluxe Reverb II.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DaevidJDaevidJ Frets: 414
    edited May 2016
    Yeah I am not really a fan of the transistor/ modelling amp these days for live duties having used both sorts in the past...

Will have a look at the Artist though :)
    ICBM;1087921" said:
    A Fender Rivera-era Deluxe Reverb II.
    Will add to my list... Thankee :)

Ah - hang on. No, the Deluxe Reverb II doesn't have an FX loop - it's got the same chassis as the larger (and much heavier) Concert which does have the loop, but it's not fitted to the Deluxe in a perfect example of price-point penny-pinching.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 616

Sounds like a 100w Fender Supersonic Twin fits your needs altho not many about. Switch it to 25w if you don't need it all.

Has the gain 1 & gain 2 settings on the burn channel for mean sounds and switchable bassman/showman setting for lovely cleans.

Nice reverb too. These don't seem to be much more expensive used than the smaller 22w version

Man, they are heavy though. Need the castors.

ICBM said:
    Ah - hang on. No, the Deluxe Reverb II doesn't have an FX loop - it's got the same chassis as the larger (and much heavier) Concert which does have the loop, but it's not fitted to the Deluxe in a perfect example of price-point penny-pinching.
    That is quite a shame :(
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1816
    Rivera Fandango or Quiana
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    The humble Hot Rod Deluxe ticks a few of those boxes.
    Richardj said:

The humble Hot Rod Deluxe ticks a few of those boxes.
    All of them except that the clean sound is not an exact BF tone.

• RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    ^agree. That's why I said ticks a few of the boxes. It does however definitely have the 'Fender Clean' tone, albeit slightly different, if that is the sort of thing you are looking for.
    Mmm... I think based on what I have heard so far out there I am erring either on the side of Fender, Supersonic/ Prosonic... Or if I ditch my trem pedal and use the on board trem getting a Deluxe or a version thereof. I can always get a drive pedal afterall... Given I use effects mainly on breakup sounds would it be much of an issue not having an fx loop?

The supersonic twin is a real beast but I would not like to have to move it around, must weight 35 kgs or so...the 22w as it's smaller brother would be more portable...worth trying one out if you can. Shame, cos they only seem to be about £50 to £100 cheaper than the 100w

bazxkr;1088887" said:
    The supersonic twin is a real beast but I would not like to have to move it around, must weight 35 kgs or so...the 22w as it's smaller brother would be more portable...worth trying one out if you can. Shame, cos they only seem to be about £50 to £100 cheaper than the 100w
    Yeah, was thinking that too... I have been spoilt by the light amps I have used for gigs in the past. That said if it can be lifted with one hand and sounds great I would bear with it...

100w supersonic twin you can lift it with one hand but you wouldn't want to carry it very far. The castors are great but there is never an easy flat surface to roll across when you need one. Mine has celestion golds in it which probably helps with the sound colour. Not sure how they would compare to an everyday twin speaker set.

Not many about in single or twin variety so not easy to try one out. Gonna be one of those things where try stuff & will just hear the tone you want & that's it....you hit the target

• hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    ICBM said:
    Pro Reverb? Not the BF/SF the Pro Tube series one.
    hywelg said:
    Pro Reverb? Not the BF/SF the Pro Tube series one.
    Pretty heavy though. It actually weighs more than a '65 BF Twin Reverb reissue… 75lb according to this http://ampwares.com/amplifiers/fender-pro-tube-reverb/

('65 Twin is 64lb.)

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9585
    Mate,

I never ever thought I'd say this.... Roland Blues Cube is EXACTLY what you are after !

Just try one and thank me later :)