Output transformer impedance matching 6L6 vs 6V6

OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
A question for the techies. I have a mind to build another 5E3, but this time it's going to be a little different having seen few mods knocking about on the internet. Anyway, I have a '73 Bandmaster Reverb OT, originally designed to run two 6L6's into 4 ohms. Am I right in thinking this would be very happy running two 6V6's into 8 ohms? Cheers, Rob
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• exocetexocet Frets: 1963
    Pretty sure that an 8 ohm speaker connected to the 4 ohm output is the way to go. However, many 6v6 can't take the higher anode voltages that are generally applied to 6l6 based circuits.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72510
    Ossyrocks said:
    I have a '73 Bandmaster Reverb OT, originally designed to run two 6L6's into 4 ohms. Am I right in thinking this would be very happy running two 6V6's into 8 ohms?
    Yes.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    ICBM said:
    Ossyrocks said:
    I have a '73 Bandmaster Reverb OT, originally designed to run two 6L6's into 4 ohms. Am I right in thinking this would be very happy running two 6V6's into 8 ohms?
    Yes.

Thanks for the replies. So, at least I have one component! I am going to attempt a Tweedle Dee Deluxe, which is something Dumble has built for a few people and some builders are making to order. Getting hold of schematics, layouts and voltages is going to be the difficult bit. They are more guarded than Fort Knox! Cheers, Rob.
    Ossyrocks;1090679" said:
    ICBM said:

Ossyrocks said:

I have a '73 Bandmaster Reverb OT, originally designed to run two 6L6's into

4 ohms.

Am I right in thinking this would be very happy running two 6V6's into 8 ohms?

Yes.

Thanks for the replies. So, at least I have one component!

I am going to attempt a Tweedle Dee Deluxe, which is something Dumble has built for a few people and some builders are making to order. Getting hold of schematics, layouts and voltages is going to be the difficult bit. They are more guarded than Fort Knox!

Cheers,

Rob.
    Ceriatone are releasing a Tweedle Dee Deluxe very soon. Not sure if they will have all of the kit options for this amp though.

exocet said:
    Ossyrocks;1090679" said:
    ICBM said:

Ossyrocks said:

I have a '73 Bandmaster Reverb OT, originally designed to run two 6L6's into

4 ohms.

Am I right in thinking this would be very happy running two 6V6's into 8 ohms?

Yes.

Thanks for the replies. So, at least I have one component!

I am going to attempt a Tweedle Dee Deluxe, which is something Dumble has built for a few people and some builders are making to order. Getting hold of schematics, layouts and voltages is going to be the difficult bit. They are more guarded than Fort Knox!

Cheers,

Rob.
    Ceriatone are releasing a Tweedle Dee Deluxe very soon. Not sure if they will have all of the kit options for this amp though.

That's interesting. How did you find out, there's nothing on the website?
    They post details on their Facebook page. Pretty sure they've already posted the design layout.
    exocet said:
    They post details on their Facebook page. Pretty sure they've already posted the design layout.

Thanks for the link, but I can't find the layout anywhere?
    exocet said:
    Got it cheers.

The amp is up on the Ceriatone site now, but the Hi-Res layout is not up yet. 

It looks like a cool little project. My first scratch build was a 5E3, a great way to while away a few hours. I'm interested to see how different it would sound to a regular 5E3, or even my Gartone.

I'd be building this into a regular chrome 5E3 chassis though, Nik's are all set up for top mount?