Flexible amps - BognerShiva/xtc?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 838
    welshboyo said:
    Don't understand why the loops get a slating? I have the later Traffic Green revision model with the updated loop and it's perfect, doesn't lose any volume or tone, if anything, provided your pedals/rack can handle it you can actually get a louder/aggressive tone by using the hotter send!!

Plenty of gain for me, and as I have said before I will sometimes push it a little harder with a TS on 2nd channel.

The Boost does add a tiny amount of hair to the tone too and really comes alive at gig levels.

For me, the amp is suited for Vintage 30's and definitely sounds better with these than the CL80 equipped models (Rod, I think I had your combo with CL80)

I had a combo, a couple of heads a couple of 2x12's and a 4x12.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Using my Shiva no.4 tomorrow night for the first time with a V30 loaded over sized cab. Hope it's as great as I remember.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1816
    rockmonster;1095243" said:
    welshboyo said:

Don't understand why the loops get a slating? I have the later Traffic Green revision model with the updated loop and it's perfect, doesn't lose any volume or tone, if anything, provided your pedals/rack can handle it you can actually get a louder/aggressive tone by using the hotter send!!

Plenty of gain for me, and as I have said before I will sometimes push it a little harder with a TS on 2nd channel.

The Boost does add a tiny amount of hair to the tone too and really comes alive at gig levels.

For me, the amp is suited for Vintage 30's and definitely sounds better with these than the CL80 equipped models (Rod, I think I had your combo with CL80)

I had a combo, a couple of heads a couple of 2x12's and a 4x12.
    Yeah, but let's face it you're a tart when it comes to amps :P
  • rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 838
    I am! :)
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2175
    I find most Bogners a bit overrated. I've owned most of them too, bar an Uberschall/Twin Jet.
    Haven't tried a Helios either, but all the Bogners I owned had issues. All of them I bought brand new.
    The Shiva is a cool amp. But it isn't as good as a JCM 800 reissue and 2/3 pedals in my opinion. Mine had a few issues and ended up needing a new output transformer which took weeks to sort out.
    They're far too dark and fuzzy for my tastes nowadays. I had the EL34 head n/reverb traffic green revision. I also had the 1x12 combo which I thought was a lot worse. Very muddy sounding and very heavy. Also a pretty stupid reverb tank placement if I remember rightly. Both ran mental hot.
    The Ecstasy is just a massive compromise. You can't have the best sounds each channel can offer at the same time. And even then, it's a bit "off" sounding to me. Not quite right somehow.
    The Goldfinger lasted about an evening if I remember correctly before the presence control totally destroyed itself, but I remember the sounds being alright. Build quality was very poor though. The chassis was a flimsy open ended tray type thing.
    Barcelona was what it was. Sounded decent. But after a week of ownership developed a weird audible rattle that I couldn't get rid of so that got returned also.

I gigged the Shiva head for a few years. The other three or four Bogners, I owned for less than a fortnight due to reliability issues, or just being pretty average.
  • Well the first gig with my latest Shiva went really well. It was as dynamic and flexible as I remembered. The loop worked great, clean with boost was the sound for a couple of hot country numbers and the OD channel sounded wicked.