Those tools that wanted bands for free....

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• 5redlights5redlights Frets: 317
    Really tempted to email in saying my band The Steak Knives are interested.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4170
    Just up the road from me. May pop along and see how many bands they get!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2596
    tFB Trader
    I would have volunteered, then played a 60 minute version of Free Bird with a super extended guitar and drum and bass solo session, could have been good....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24478
    Couldn't we all contact them with fake demos, so they end up with a lineup completely made up of fake bands, and then on the day, obviously nobody turns up ? :-)
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    I reckon we should form a forum supergroup, the highlight of which is @Drew_Fx and @Sambostar having an expletive ridden rap battle.

Obviously the venue knows nothing about it until its too late :D

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24478
    ..naked.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6908
    edited June 2016
    It's a free to enter event. Hands up who's played for free in a pub?

A pub which sells beer, food and has a bandit and fag machine to take the rest of your money...
    slacker;1092343" said:
    At first I thought this a little harsh. I then read the ad on the site advertising fireworks and a restaurant. I doubt they are free services. So nicely done and the steak knives comment is amusing.
    Don't quite see the problem myself. You don't have to play for free if you don't want to. They won't get a pro band but someone might like the opportunity...

They are also providing food and refreshments which is more than some pubs do.

Previously known as stevebrum
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Emp_Fab said:
    ..naked.
    with a bdsm stage show
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2256
    Iamnobody said:
    It's a free to enter event. Hands up who's played for free in a pub?

A pub which sells beer, food and has a bandit and fag machine to take the rest of your money...
    slacker;1092343" said:
    At first I thought this a little harsh. I then read the ad on the site advertising fireworks and a restaurant. I doubt they are free services. So nicely done and the steak knives comment is amusing.
    Don't quite see the problem myself. You don't have to play for free if you don't want to. They won't get a pro band but someone might like the opportunity...

They are also providing food and refreshments which is more than some pubs do.

Good point. I've played for free quite a lot and it's either been for a voluntary organisation (church, charity) or purely to promote my ahem song writing. However this isn't a pub doing me a favour or me doing a charidy job.

This is a fete type gig where it looks to me like everyone is getting paid but the musicians and they haven't specified original music, to promote local talent, it looks like they want free music. No.

• DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4613
    edited June 2016
    Some people may just like playing in front of people and are not concerned with getting money for it .. this would be a good opportunity for people like that.

STEAK KNIFE!!!!

Update - for example, my old guitar player has just called asking if i want to get the band back together for a one off gig at a local music festival 3 or 4 towns over from us .. Damn right i would .. and as it's only a small festival i'm not even expecting to get paid for it. 

#justfortheloveofplaying
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Playing original live music on a small scale is basically the same as playing golf. Expensive gear, driving all over and there's only your mates there to see your efforts.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4305
    edited June 2016
    Deijavoo said:
    Playing original live music on a small scale is basically the same as playing golf. Expensive gear, driving all over and there's only your mates there to see your efforts.
    The forgot the main difference though. Golf is completely pointless. Playing music at least gets you some brain exercise!

Hit ball hard.....Hit ball hard again......Hit ball softly......hit ball very softly.....Where ball gone?????

Play opening chord.....think? what next? another chord, .... think? what notes to play over two chords......oooh my brain hurts
  • LoFiLoFi Frets: 534

The New Theatre in Oxford advertised for a free pianist to play before, after and interval slots.

They demanded a high level of professional competence.

A mate of mine - a drummer - applied for an audition and intended to play piano as only a drummer could, but Equity went mental at such a well regarded and long established venue taking the piss so they pulled the slot.

I would have paid proper money to see him try to play.
    I remember that, but I don't think it was free - they were offering £25/night. MU rates would've been somewhere around £170-250 depending on how long the play actually went on for.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24681
    Ah. You might be right there!
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7300
    There's a lot of these things going round at the moment where some bright individual flips round a request for a free band like this. They're getting a bit tedious.

We would do this for free but we choose our setlist so they'd be getting our material plus stuff like opeth, tool, mastadon, slipknot etc. I think it's worth it to have a reasonable sized audience provided that I can play our music at.

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    hywelg said:
    Deijavoo said:
    The forgot the main difference though. Golf is completely pointless. Playing music at least gets you some brain exercise!

Hit ball hard.....Hit ball hard again......Hit ball softly......hit ball very softly.....Where ball gone?????

Play opening chord.....think? what next? another chord, .... think? what notes to play over two chords......oooh my brain hurts

In a pointless world I actually get more enjoyment from said pointless game at the moment. Not sure why, maybe the 4 hour attempt at zoning out, or enjoying the scenery, exercise and banter.