Leaving Bands

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Ben8010Ben8010 Frets: 150
    hotpickups;1108202" said:
    Well my scenario was exactly yours and I did fold the band because of all what you say and yes I then didn't gig for over a year trying to reform the band again with different band members. However, it had to be done because it was taking over my life with all the work the band members left me to do so it had to go. Now though I have got great band members who are keen and at this stage seem prepared to help promote and do a bit of work which is all I ever asked for.

So at the end of the day I'm saying just follow your gut. It's not always the easier route but personally I'm happier for it :)

Hope it helps

[quote="Ben8010;1108193"]I came close to leaving my band twice due to me getting a bit annoyed about the fact that no one else seems to sort anything out other than me and I was worried about the other's commitment. In the end I've always stuck with it because we still get along and I'm beggining to realise that, like a lot of things actually, there always needs to be one person to be a leader. I seem to see this scenario a lot - where one person leads the band and starts to get a bit annoyed about it, which leads me to believe that the grass may not be always greener.

I think that's the point I'm getting at - the grass isn't always greener - especially as it appears that commited & motivated musicians in my age group in my area seem hard to come by. I don't mind leading the band, but I question if I'm the right person to

lead a band sometimes and I would be much happier if the others chipped

in with some stuff, but I'd be terrified to leave in case I ended up bandless for too long or ended up in the same situation.

Sorry to bore you with my early "can't be bothered to actually start working" monday morning ramblings!
    [/quote]

As of yet it's never been too much as to take over my life so I have always just got on with it. We had a shake up a few months ago (basically started a new band but with the same members) and it seems like others are willing to put in some more effort, will have to wait and see though! We're without a drummer now so that's the immediate concern!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    edited June 2016
    I think it pays to end on good terms and not burn bridges. There's always a chance of working with some of the band members in future.

Very recently I decided to move on from the covers band I was in. It was all on good terms. It had just lost its spark for me. The new song choices weren't really exciting me and going in the direction I wanted to (i.e. I need something more full-on/rocky). So I'm currently bandless but will to focus on home recording for now. I've offered to dep for them until they get a replacement, but there are no gigs for a while owing to summer holidays.

The previous time I 'retired' from a band, I ended up doing regular deps for over a year. The band leader gave me a good send off, got me and my wife a present, then I was depping with them again within about a month :). I still help out with the occasional music charts and, after a long break, depped for them again last New Year's Eve.

It pays to keep the friendships and contacts because you never know what might come up in future. Musical projects I've been involved in over the years have generally been through previous contacts.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    @stratman3142 i think that is very true. Always best to leave on good terms.. especially on the covers circuit. Contacts are always useful.
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    My current band looks like it's gonna be going under soon.

Bassist is taking time out over summer as he's starting a business, it'll be taking up his evenings and weekends.

No hard feelings and wish him well, but I don't think we'll be getting anyone else in, I've been struggling to motivate myself to rehearse and even gig recently so could be the end of the road for us....

I think I need a break from the guitar as I'm just not enjoying it at the moment.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1