Anyone ever played one of these?

What's Hot
BucketBucket Frets: 7751
Framus AK 1974.

I've recently cultivated a liking for this model after years of thinking it looked weird and not wanting anything to do with one. Now for whatever reason, it's really grown on me. I'd love to try one but I've never had the chance. Has anyone else?

The idea of a 24-fret semi-hollow with a lot of pickup switching options seems really cool to me.
- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3595
    I knew a guy that was so talented frames gave him two in the late 70s when they were pushing market share. Lovely woody tone, full of character. Nicely finished. Oh the guy west all classical a few years later so I don't know if he still has or play's them.
    Worth having a play to see if you like them.
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 561
    Looks good to me . . . but I'm an idiot :-)
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3344
    Played and owned a framus Diablo. Really nice guitar, very well put together and a nice player. Perhaps not worth the new price though.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14358
    tFB Trader
    I last sold one maybe 2 to 3 years ago - Used example in as new condition - Recall it been a heavy guitar - Well built - I would have to go through my stock records to find the price I sold it for - Very much idiosyncratic as many signature models can be, but fine if you like it - Can't recall seeing one since
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30306
    I used to have a Framus banjo which surprised me since I didn't even know they made banjos.

That's a nice looking guitar. Bit too flamey but nice nonetheless.
  • AustrianJohnAustrianJohn Frets: 1700
    This was a Jan Akkerman signature model. He was a big influence on me when I was much younger so I tried to find one to buy a few years ago but failed to find a decent one at a reasonable price. The guitar has its own web site: http://www.framusakkerman.net/

Also some interesting history about the model here: http://www.tdpri.com/threads/when-signature-models-go-wrong-the-framus-jan-akkerman-model.228893/
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14358
    tFB Trader
    Okay found a few notes from the one I sold back in 2010 and not seen one since - Sold for £1699 - very clean condition with case

The original AK1974 at the time was £130 more expensive than a LP Custom - That is quite a serious statement - The new AK1974 is not meant to be a DNA replica of the original Framus AK model as Jan wanted a few tweaks and mods that at the time were not included, so this new AK1974 is actually more in keeping of what he required - Framus obviously wanted to FOCUS on that fact (sorry !!!!!!!!!!!)

Same with any signature model as it is built to suit the demands and playing style of that Artist so won't please everyone regarding how it looks, feels, plays and sounds 

Bucket obviously likes a guitar that is a touch different and there is nothing wrong with that - It was well built but somehow I found it a touch clumsy to play ad would have much preferred a good PRS or LP to the AK1974 - It had a deeper body so in someway it reminds me of a Gibson LP Supreme and again they are a guitar I could not bond with regarding the playing performance but each to their own

I can't recall enough about the tone to comment but try the links below as they might help you further
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3061
    I wouldn't mind one of them myself. Partly because I'm a Devon Townsend fan boy but also because it's quirky.
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    guitars4you;1097282" said:
    Okay found a few notes from the one I sold back in 2010 and not seen one since - Sold for £1699 - very clean condition with case

The original AK1974 at the time was £130 more expensive than a LP Custom - That is quite a serious statement - The new AK1974 is not meant to be a DNA replica of the original Framus AK model as Jan wanted a few tweaks and mods that at the time were not included, so this new AK1974 is actually more in keeping of what he required - Framus obviously wanted to FOCUS on that fact (sorry !!!!!!!!!!!)

Same with any signature model as it is built to suit the demands and playing style of that Artist so won't please everyone regarding how it looks, feels, plays and sounds 

Bucket obviously likes a guitar that is a touch different and there is nothing wrong with that - It was well built but somehow I found it a touch clumsy to play ad would have much preferred a good PRS or LP to the AK1974 - It had a deeper body so in someway it reminds me of a Gibson LP Supreme and again they are a guitar I could not bond with regarding the playing performance but each to their own

I can't recall enough about the tone to comment but try the links below as they might help you furtherhttp://www.premierguitar.com/articles/Framus_AK_1974_Custom_Shop_Hollowbody

http://www.guitarworld.com/review-framus-ak-1974-electric-guitar

http://www.guitarplayer.com/miscellaneous/1139/framus-ak-1974-custom-mayfield-custom-and-panthera-supreme/14203
    This is the sort of above and beyond helpful post that makes this forum.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3774
    Anybody else had one of these? Been offered one in trade and judging value is very hard!
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18966
    Stevepage said:
    I wouldn't mind one of them myself. Partly because I'm a Devon Townsend fan boy but also because it's quirky.
    Devon Townsend?  Is that a south western 'Strapping Young Lad'  tribute band?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom