Another which amp thread

What's Hot
relic245relic245 Frets: 962
I'm going to downsize my Blackstar Artisan 1/4 stack and Zilla cab as I'm no longer gigging. 

I'll be looking for a 1x12 combo that can do a reasonable home volume, doesn't have to be whisper quite. I want it to be able to do small gigs in case I decided to join another band.

A channel switcher would be good but not essential. Doesn't have to do pristine clean but fine if it does. 

I guess if I could make up an amp it would have a Twin clean channel and a JMP/JCM 800 dirty one, all in small package....

I know Martin can build such a beast but will be over budget for me. I'll be looking to spend up to about £600 with maybe a little wiggle room. 

An HRD is an option, I have pedals but for some reason doesn't fully apeal.

What should I be looking at?
Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• kreggskreggs Frets: 64
    The laney lionheart does a nice clean and crunch. The L5 should be loud enough for a small gig and its very usable at home.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Another vote for the 5w Lionheart. Great amp and can get plenty loud.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    What about a Blues Cube Stage with some change left over to put towards an Xotic SL Drive?
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16131
    That little Matchless on this site - perfect for your needs and can be very bloody loud if you want
    8w Class A from those transformers is plenty loud
    AND ...........its pure class ...........like a mini-Ferrari
  • firepaulmusicfirepaulmusic Frets: 365
    edited June 2016
    Roland Blues Cube Artist, street price £699.....
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1638

If you have been happy with the Artisan why not look at the A15?

Well under £500 on the Bay and will be fixable for ever. Loud and will go louder if the Greenback is changed for a 100dB/W/mtr unit.

Or, check out the new Artist 15? Based on the HT-40 design so a very well tested chassis. 6L6 replace EL34 and it is said to be an excellent pedal platform.

Dave.

• relic245relic245 Frets: 962
    Thanks for the suggestions. 

I've had a few laneys in the past and I think that they are very under rated in general but not what I'm looking for right now. 

@Dominic yes I've seen that matchless and I do like the sound of it. I don't have cash to spend until I've sold my current set up so time will tell if it's still available. 

@firepaulmusic good shout. I've been following the other thread about the blues cubes and will definitely be checking them out, along with the THR amps as I have a THR10 which I really like. 

@ecc83 also a good shout and the first thing that went through my mind. It's a possibility but there is part of me that just fancies a change. I do like the A15, I actually prefered it to the A30 when I tried them back to back but in my nievety I never thought that 15 would be big enough to gig with. As it happens I've done most of my gigging with the 30 set to 10 :) There is also a part of me that would feel hard done to, I wouldn't get much more for my set up than I would need to spend on a second hand 15 yet new I could have had the 15 for £500 less. I know that's the way that the cookie crumbles but it would still grate a bit. The last bit is volume. The A15 is a lovely sounding amp but it still needs to be wound up a bit for best effect and this is predominantly going to be a home amp. I actually think you can get a better sound out of a monstrously loud fender twin at home than most small wattage valve amps. 

Not sure about the Artist 15, especially now you've told me that its based on a HT-40. To be honest I've never really got on with other blackstars. I really tried to like a series one at one point mainly based on weight. I borrowed one for a week but it just didn't do it for me. Yet somehow the Artisan has been one of my favorite amps ever.
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 406
    AC15CC1X?  Available new for somewhere near your budget and sounds bloody lovely.  Tried the Artist 15 and came away very disappointed - I'd hope it's a good pedal platform because it sounds pretty dull without.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1638

"Not sure about the Artist 15, especially now you've told me that its based on a HT-40. To be honest I've never really got on with other blackstars. I really tried to like a series one at one point mainly based on weight. I borrowed one for a week but it just didn't do it for me. Yet somehow the Artisan has been one of my favorite amps ever"

The Artist is closer to the Artisan voicing than any other of B's amps. I just don't want peeps to think they are getting a "Hand built" amp for prod line amp money!

The A15 should be PDLoud with a V30 in it.

Dave..

• GassageGassage Frets: 30932
    Every single fretboarder knows the answer to any what amp thread is a DRRI.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

Is there an amp which is THE drri? There seems to be a 65 reissue, a 65 reissue and a blackface one too.
    I've seen drri referred to a lot but not really sure which amp that is.

relic245 said:
    Is there an amp which is THE drri? There seems to be a 65 reissue, a 65 reissue and a blackface one too.
    I've seen drri referred to a lot but not really sure which amp that is.
    It's the answer, that's what it is.

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9585
    Again I say,Roland Blues Cube Artist
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7524
    Gassage said:
    What's the answer if you wanted the amp to go order without going dirty - like a DRRI on 2 or 3 (with hum buckers) where it is still clean and lovely, but louder like when it's up on 7 or 8, but not dirty like they get ? 

Is that just a Super Reverb? 
    Red ones are better. 
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9585
    By the way, I a/b the Artisan 15 vs the Blues Cube... The difference was frankly astounding ! The BC was way superior. Just my 2 penneth...
    Will definitely be trying out the blues cube. Also watching your other thread with interest to see how you get on at rehearsal volume with it. 
  • MattGMattG Frets: 170
    DT25?
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 600
    Shameless plug for the Roland Cube 80xl I have in the classifieds.....
    TimmyO said:
    Gassage said:
    What's the answer if you wanted the amp to go order without going dirty - like a DRRI on 2 or 3 (with hum buckers) where it is still clean and lovely, but louder like when it's up on 7 or 8, but not dirty like they get ? 

Is that just a Super Reverb? 
    2 x DRRI's. Fact.