Compressor

What's Hot
thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
Never used a compressor pedal but tried one the other night thanks to @Vaiai and was impressed. 
Xotic compressor (the EP booster also sounded great - really enhanced tone"). 
I like the idea of not using one and keeping constant volume through good technique but really, that's a tough thing and loads of people use compressors. 

When do you use yours? Clean only? 
What models are best? I do like the small form factor of the xotic pedals.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 908
    I have a Diamond and it's on all the time. Before that I used a DOD FX80B. I use them to add a slight bit of compressor and boost my drive pedals a bit to saturate a bit more.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    I think I'm going to buy one. 
    Considered getting an EP Booster for its "fairy dust magic" but already have a Spark Boost (for clean solos... I guess though people keep the EP boost on all the time for that "sound"). 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30294
    Mostly for clean chords. For lead work they tend to stifle dynamics and sound too smooth.
    My favourite by far is an Orange Squeezer clone. I've tried dozens of comps and that's the only one I use now.
    I have it on a very slight amount of compression, just enough to let chords ring out cleanly and clearly.
  • Have you tried a super hard on?

It's not a compressor, but I set mine for always on as a boost because it adds magic dust to everything. It's got a touch of its own compression and the merest hint of dirt, too.

I got rid of my comp when I got that as it's just perfect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Super hard on looks to get good reviews!

I'll probably walk out with an Xotic compressor today. 
    And very soon, I think I'm going to get an LR Baggs M80(A) for my acoustic.
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    They're pretty good with single coils for smoothing them out and making 'em a bit punchier and beefier...but humbuckers need that less and so if you're gonna use one you want to be more subtle with 'em IMO.
    Hmmm... so not as useful with split humbuckers?
    £145, better be good
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    Probably work fine with split buckers you'll likely notice no volume drop when going to split buckers to. But look at most folks pedal boards.....not a lot have compressors on.....
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Can't beat the xotic form. I had one briefly but let it go because the love squeeze is my favourite.

I use my comp after dirt. And keep it on all the time. It smooths out the levels between clean and dirty and I can do stuff like subtle palm muted notes and also loud lead lines and they'll all be audible and prominent to the same level because of the compressor. No amount of technique could achieve that in my opinion.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    I was watching a thing about Andy Summers. Apparently in The Police he used his compressor last in the chain so he got a dynamic response from his other pedals but the sound itself was evened out. I think that makes sense - if you have the compressor first or early on then your pedals are working on an already compressed tone, his approach was ( kind of) closer to how a producer might use compression.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Ended up just getting the EP Booster.
    Man, that pedal made the guitar sound fantastic. There's something magical about it.

Compressor was damn good but I'm not sure I play enough clean parts to merit it and almost feel I'm cheating a little using one. Perhaps soon, though... acoustic pickup or mic is next thing on the list.
    siraxeman;1097460" said:
    Probably work fine with split buckers you'll likely notice no volume drop when going to split buckers to. But look at most folks pedal boards.....not a lot have compressors on.....
    Why do you think that is? I did a quick Google and saw slash and Nuno don't use them. Mostly for funk, country and clean players?

Andy Summers approach makes some sense!

Man, I'm just so excited about the ep booster...
    What I liked about the xotic boost was the blend knob. So you could just set it lowish and keep it on all the time for subtle compression to tighten things up in general.
  • benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1396
    you owe it to yourself to try out the fairfield circuitry accountant. I got it on a bit of a whim but its never left my board and it is always on. its easy to use as well. 
    How very rock and roll
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2926
    tFB Trader
    Use mine mostly for cleans but also with lighter dirt - depends on the comp but they can add to available dynamics esp with attack or blend control. E.g. for nasty bluesy funk, or I was just now doing Scuttle Buttin, adds real punch & bite.
    Not all pickups, never use mine with buckers or P90s.
  • markblackmarkblack Frets: 1591
    edited June 2016
    I'm no compressor expert. But I did a lot of research and when for the Wampler Ego (want a comp with a blend control). I do find it's a hard one to drop cash on as it 'doesn't do much' but it's always on and it juts give that little something that I really miss if I don't use it.

I'd say give the Ego a try as well if you can.
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    The EP Booster is really excellent for adding that little extra something to split buckers or single coils. Whenever I split the coils on my PRS DGT I use the EP at it's lowest setting ti bring the volume back up to match the humbucker's output and add that little extra something to the sound.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6085
    I use a lot of compression most of the time. It's my favourite effect. I have a few that I really like and sometimes I stack them - old block logo Dyna Comp into a DOD 280 sounds brilliant. It's not something that you could do in a band setting, but I like that totally mashed up treble sound with a clickiness in the attack and some dip and swell. I play clean all the time, rarely use OD or distortion so compression is a big part of the sound.

My own faves are the VFE and the very recently acquired Keeley Pro. Other likes are the Bearfoot Ever Green, Maxon CP-9Pro, Boss CS-1 and 2. I've currently got a JHS modded CS-3 up for sale, v similar to the CS-2 but with tone control. I'd really like to try the Fairfield.
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4557
    edited June 2016
    Some great advice here

@branshen @theprettydamned @erictheweary spot on as always gents.
    So the ep booster has replaced my TC flashback. In fact I rarely use it. It's good at what it does though... so I wonder whether to sell or not.