Rc Booster/Pure Boost in fx loop?

TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
edited June 2016 in FX
I'm in need of a new lead booster as I don't think a tubescreamer in front of the amp is really cutting it for me. I like the little extra bit of compression/mids/saturation I get from it but it's not really loud enough to be heard over a band with another guitarist. Anyone tried the RC Booster/Pure Boost (mooer clone) in the fx loop and does it work well? I know most people use it in front as an overdrive hence why I'm wondering whether it'd work for me? Was just gonna get the EHX LPB2 but I like the idea of having the eq controls and a gain as well as volume so in theory I should be able to add some of the saturation I like from my TS? Used to use an eq pedal but hate how easily the sliders get knocked and it added a load of noise.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72441
    Be very careful with adding gain as well as volume boost in the loop. In general it's a bad idea to use any kind of dirt pedal there - it can make the amp unstable and feed back on itself internally, which in rare cases can damage the amp. Mostly it just sounds bad.

Even if it doesn't make the amp unstable it generally doesn't sound good to add pedal overdrive after the amp's preamp, you'll just be hearing the pure pedal sound through the amp's power amp.

If you're going to try it, keep the volume up and the gain down, and listen out for any odd tone or unusual compression.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    Yea I've heard that about gain pedals in the fx loop. Apparently the RC is quite low gain so didn't know if it would fare better. Maybe the bargain LPB will do me fine then.
  • mark_jwedgemark_jwedge Frets: 318
    I have used an RC booster in the loop of my cornford roadhouse as a solo boost for ages and it sounds great. As @ICBM says I keep the gain very low, certainly no more than 9 o'clock on the dial and push the volume high, around 3 o'clock. I also nudge the treble up at about 1 o'clock as this seems to give a little more cut and the perception of a larger volume boost.

You could also look at the one knob mxr micro amp. Or I think custom pedal boards - who post on here from time to time - also make a one knob clean boost which my do the trick
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    edited June 2016
    Yeah, I don't think it's a good idea to put a gain pedal after an amp's pre-amp stage.  And I'd say the same to what I'd regard as dirty boosts like the LPB1.

The flatter EQ signature and the much more powerful EQ controls of the RC Booster and its ilk could get you better results than the TS does for you, but stick it before the amp. An good alternative option to the RC Booster would be the TC Spark Booster.  

over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    edited June 2016
    I actually had a Spark Booster for a bit but it didn't do what I wanted -that said I sent it back before I'd actually tried it in the loop and I also used too much gain when I first started playing with the band! Now use much less so maybe it'd work, probably should have given it more of a chance haha.
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    Honestly - I think the Spark mini boost is a pedal everyone should own.

It's simple, tiny and cheap - but the number of times i find myself plugging it in is out of all proportion
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5159
    peteri said:
    Honestly - I think the Spark mini boost is a pedal everyone should own.

It's simple, tiny and cheap - but the number of times i find myself plugging it in is out of all proportion
    I can imagine. I have a cheapo chinese EP Booster knockoff that I got for £15 that I could happily buy another of and have on all the time. One in the loop for volume boost, the other in front end for sparkly fun times.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.