Marshall power amps

What's Hot
CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
Anyone know anything about these?
I'm looking at the 20/20 the 9100
The size and weight of the 20/20 appeals but I wonder if it might be a bit wheezy
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Don't you have to use both outputs all the time with the 20/20, I'm sure I read that somewhere?
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11619
    tFB Trader
    I have a 9100 up for grabs - thats had home use only.

The 20/20 is quite nice and good for home use , but as said you do ned both channels hooked up, whilst the 9100 and 9200are true dual monobloc amps

The 9100 copes with loud home use and gigging

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Yes it's not a monoblock so stereo only
    I only run in stereo so that shouldn't be an issue (although it does increase the surface for a failure)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72510
    There's a 20/20 in Strung Out if you want to try one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

So there is
    Good price too
    What kind of price of the 9100 Jon?
    I don't know if I have the rack space for it
  • BGGBGG Frets: 689
    I gigged one for a while with my JMP-1 and it was easily loud enough for gigging.
    #thebatesmotelband
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11619
    tFB Trader
    I want £375 for the 9100 - in a 3u aluminium flightcase

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

BGG which one?
    Thanks Jon I'll have a think about it
    Better go to the gym if you're thinking of a 9100! It probably weighs almost as much as your Boogie MkIV, and that's without speakers…

Good price too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Jeez you're not joking its a kick off 30kg!
    The chap who's selling the 20/20 is doing so because he's just upgraded to the 9100 - I serviced it for him when he got it. Getting it out of its own flightcase without trapping my fingers or straining something was quite a challenge :).

The 9200 is even heavier of course ;).

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17652
    tFB Trader
    What's your opinion on the 20/20 @ICBM in terms of well made and sounds good?

Does Strung Out post stuff?
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 846
    I used to gig a 9100.  Sounded OK but it ws with the JMP Pre - so very Marshall'y sounding.  Its big, and as you have found out heavy.

I also played in a band (as a Keys player) where one guitarist used the 20/20.  It was loud enough to gig, but didnt sound as nice to me as the 9100, and it did suffer from over heating at times.  

Personally, Unless your set on the Marshal sound, Id look for an Engl (2U and 12Kg) which sounds more neutral as well, or possibly an old Peavey classic 50/50 - which again sounded more neutral to me.  Dont know about reliability of the Peavey though.
    What's your opinion on the 20/20 @ICBM in terms of well made and sounds good?
    Yes. I've never seen a single dead one. It sounds fine - just like a clean valve power amp :).

Does Strung Out post stuff?
    Not normally. This one might be a possibility because it actually belongs to one of the staff, but normally we will not ship commission-sale stock at all, after a bad experience with a courier.

• I've been in 2 bands where the other guitarist has had a 20/20, the first was plenty loud enough to cope with a savage drummer, and he'd blown one side up by not using a stereo cab. In my current band, he is using a stereo cab and a JMP1 preamp, think the first guy was running a pod pro through his but can't remember tbh. Think my current bandmate has had his at least ten years. Sounds good to me. Hope that's of some help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richhrichh Frets: 453
    The 9100 is very good, although admittedly large and heavy.  I used to use mine with a Mesa preamp (sold now to somebody here) and a pair of 1 x 12" cabs.  I don't know how it would sound with different preamp / speaker combinations, but I'd imagiine it would be very good.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10443

I had the 2020, did loads of gigs with it. Mine overheated because it was trying to vent through the side of the rack .... once I figured that out I drill some vents and it was all right. You can use the 2020 as a mono amp if you put something like an 5 watt resistor soldered to a jack lead as a load for the dummy side ........ as your not feeding that side any audio it's not gonna get hot. I actually did loads of gig running one side without any load on the other but it's not recommended. 

I've been gigging the Big EL34 100\100 which I think is the same as the 9200 since 2008. Mines in a rack with a JMP1, A Roland GP100, rack tuner and various other bits. It'a a 2 man lift for sure

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks Danny
    I'm thinking of Racking one in with my mixer but the weight is making me nervous. The Gator rack case doesn't have wheels....
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    edited June 2016
    I picked up a 20/20 from eBay last week and it arrived yesterday. I tested it last night but gave it a better run through this morning. I was a bit worried that it wouldn't be loud enough for gigs after reading some of the comments on here and elsewhere. I tried it with the volume at 11 o'clock with the output on my axe fx at 9 o'clock and that was probably loud enough for a small pub gig! I don't think I need to worry about a lack of volume :))
  • David5150David5150 Frets: 118

They are great aren't they.

I found I got a really nice tone with the deep switch engaged and adding presence to fit (using with the Kemper) Good punchy sound but can imagine things could get a bit muddy with certain speakers/cabs