Velcro conventions - soft on board, spiky on pedal

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7469
This is pretty universal right? 

Had a used pedal turn up with soft side/loop on the pedal - what insanity is this? :-)

(mere moments to change obv, just struck me as strange) 

Anyone else do it the "wrong" way? 
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Some people haven't had the training
    They are more to be pitied than scolded ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    The TRex boards come with the spikes hard side on the board, that's why the pedal had the fuzzy side in it!

Usually I'd go the other way but I wasn't going to re Velcro a whole board!
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7469
    Hey there. Oh, it's arrived by the way lol :-) 

That's outrageous - numpty of them to do that 
    Red ones are better. 
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Apparently, the tone is superior that way too!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1266
    I've always used loops on the pedals, hooks on the board. If I take a pedal off to use separately it doesn't stick to the carpet and pick up fluff like the loop side.

When I've bought second hand pedals I've had to change the velcro the othe way from your case - no biggie, really.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd rather the soft bit be on the pedal so it picks up less ambient dog fur from my house when I get itchy and rebuild my board for no good reason.

Mine has the hard bit on pedals, though, as the soft was on the board.
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3880
    I do it the 'wrong way' too. When reorganising pedals, they don't then stick to (and trash) your carpet. What's the advantage of these other way?
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7807
    Exactly. Soft bit on pedal. I can't think of any good reasons why you'd go the other way? Pedsls get taken off and put on the carpet fairly often.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28426
    With the spiky side on the pedal, though, the whole world is your pedalboard.

Also with the spiky side on the pedalboard, if you turn it over to dress cables underneath you'll never get it back up off the carpet.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I only sort out cables underneath AFTER I've put the pedals on, so no problem there. Great debate though. I love this sort of insane conversation on here!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994

all my boards have been a carpet / soft material all over jobby.

the Velcro I buy comes in equal rolls of hook and loop (soft) tape. I never use the loop tape. but I refuse to get rid of it as I paid for it with hard earned money. one day I will have a cupboard full of the soft side/ eventually a whole room of it.

maybe I could use it to re- 'carpet' the living room?

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30294
    I use that Dual-Lock stuff so none of this really applies.
    edited June 2016
    I used to use really powerful stuff, but had to use a small crow bar to get my pedals off the board (no joke!) I now use 'Velcro heavy duty', which is the perfect balance of strength and detachability.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5520
    Who wants a board full of loop pedals?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2417
    superglue, it has the added advantage of not letting you begin a "Pedals you sold and regretted" thread later on.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • benecolbenecol Frets: 400
    AN ART COLLEGE TECHNICIAN WRITES...

When we hang work in galleries using velcro (which we do, a lot), the convention is hook on the artefact/loop on the wall. The reason behind this is that the loop (eventually) wears out, whereas the hook is doesn't really degrade, and it's easier and less problematic to replace on the wall than to remove and replace from the work.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7807
    benecol said:
    AN ART COLLEGE TECHNICIAN WRITES...

When we hang work in galleries using velcro (which we do, a lot), the convention is hook on the artefact/loop on the wall. The reason behind this is that the loop (eventually) wears out, whereas the hook is doesn't really degrade, and it's easier and less problematic to replace on the wall than to remove and replace from the work.
    In which cas, on a board you want the hook on the board and the loop on the pedal, as the loop  wears out and therefore it's cheaper to replace the piece on the pedal (as it's smaller) than replacing a big strip if the loop was on the board :)
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7469
    If we are going to be all unhelpfully logical then pedal makers should make their pedals powered by centre-positive power supplies, to reduce chances of shorting out issues.

but they don't because a standard has been established and everyone sticks with it
    Red ones are better. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11460
    It depends on the style of board you use, but hook on the pedal allows you to use carpet tiles on a Diago style board when the original stuff wears out.  Doesn't matter so much on pedaltrain style though.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    DiscoStu said:
    Who wants a board full of loop pedals?
    Who wants a board full of loop pedals?Who wants a board full of loop pedals?Who wants a board full of loop pedals?Who wants a board full of loop pedals?Who wants a board full of loop pedals?Who wants a board full of loop pedals?Who wants a board full of loop pedals?Who wants a board full of loop pedals?Who wants a board full of loop pedals?

I see what you mean..