Which Marshall was used on 'A Hard Road' ?

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7526
edited June 2016 in Amps
I've read interviews with PG that confirm it was a 'Marshall and a 4x12' - but is it known which one?

I was listening to it the other day and its just got me a-wondering 

*edit* - Wikipedia says it was recorded in late '66 if that helps
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72510
    JTM45.

The next model - the 'black flag' JTM50 - didn't come out until 1967.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Red ones are better. 
    Just look at the settings too! Everything more or less full up, unless the presence knob has slipped round from fully down rather than fully up… (unlikely).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    57Deluxe said:
    I think in the sixties he used what ever was to hand live, I read something about him using PA stuff ( although I guess the difference between PA stuff and guitar amps was less then) as his back line on some gigs. But Google says it was a JTM45 on Hard Road.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7526
    See seems to have everything dimed there too  
    Red ones are better. 
    I read something about him using PA stuff ( although I guess the difference between PA stuff and guitar amps was less then) as his back line on some gigs.
    The difference between Lead, Bass and PA spec JTM45s is even smaller than the small difference between the later JMP models, and a lot of players still used Bass and PA ones of those.

Even less when the volume is dimed because the bright cap on the pot is bypassed at that point. (Although there is a second one which isn't.)

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    If you like PG go on Youtube and check out some of the live stuff with John Mayall from that era. Assume it's the same amp setup. Wonderful playing. Wonderful player.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12669
    That picture also shows the 'Greenie' Les Paul before the effects of UV took hold. Talk about faded...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• shugzshugz Frets: 768
    Great example of someone just dialing in a tone from the amp and using the guitar's controls and talent to do the rest.

Cheers
    Hugh

www.proudhoney.com

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2606
    edited June 2016
    Brings back memories.  I was a massive Green/Mayall fan when I first started playing and my first band was actually called A Hard Road.  Not a Mayall tribute band - we played a selection of blues and blues rock covers and eventually moved into other musical areas - but we did a sprinkling of Mayall songs including The Stumble.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Here you go. Not the best quality recording but bar after bar of blueswailing fun. I assume he's pushing it through a Marshall here.