Moped/scooter

What's Hot
My 8 mile each way commute is starting to be a real pain with heavy traffic, lack of parking etc, so thinking of buying a moped or scooter.
Only ridden push bikes before, not interested in speed just economy and reliability.
Any advice on what to get, a 50cc big enough or do I need a 125cc ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    You could...cycle that dude.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4151
    Have done but it's dual carriageway and some bloody steep hills.
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1960
    Many years ago I rode a 125cc scooter into London for my daily commute. I wouldn't want to mix it with busy traffic on anything smaller.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33803
    A full sized motor bike is more stable, easier to ride and cheaper (or at least no more expensive).

Get a CG125 or a YBR125.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    50cc with a large person hardly moves. There are some in-between ones like the Yamaha D'elight which is 115cc.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    I used to commute on a 50 cc. It was fine for 30 mph but on a dual carriageway it couldnt keep up with traffic and was consequently quite scarry. I would recommend a 125 for those roads.
  • SteffoSteffo Frets: 572
    50cc on a dual carriageway is dangerous. Far too slow, you are a moving chicane and a lorry overtaking can be interesting to say the least, particularly on a rainy day.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33803
    TBH I didn't really like riding a 125 on a dual carriageway.
    All the weight is up top (i.e. YOU) and in high wind and rain you wobble around like crazy.
  • When did you pass your car lics.. ? You might find you can jump straight on a 50cc whereas a CBT will be needed for a 125cc.

50cc although not ideal on a 60mph road but it's only 8 miles and still better than being on a pushbike.

What yon need is a leotard bossman.  Streamlining

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILWSp0m9G2U

• vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    Small moped on that kind of road is a deathtrap. We'll be holding a memorial gig for you in 6 months time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • vasselmeyer;1098772" said:
    Small moped on that kind of road is a deathtrap. We'll be holding a memorial gig for you in 6 months time.
    What a stupid thing to say... Seriously fking stupid
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6840
    tFB Trader
    A 50cc wouldn't pull a greasy man out of bed.

A good commuter scooter would be a Vespa PX. Modern functionality with classic scooter looks, very reliable and economical too. 

I should get off my arse and do my bike test. I rode my Lambretta to and from work for a couple of summers until I let my CBT lapse. Was great fun.

http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    1reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Cannot compiute..cannot compiute..errrrrr.....brain boil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXpNrMAm_XM

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12383

A 125 would be best, 50cc are too underpowered for fast roads as they don't go much above 30mph so you cant accelerate out of trouble.

I had a Gilera Runner 125VX four stroke for a couple of years and it was perfect for commuting. Very comfortable, quite nippy and dead easy to ride. It's a twist and go scooter, so no clutch or gears to worry about. They did four stroke or two stroke versions back then, no idea what's on offer now though. The two strokes are slightly quicker on acceleration, if that matters to you, but then you have to buy two stroke oil as well as petrol. They both do about 70mph flat out and get about 80-90 mpg depending if you thrash it away from the lights or not.

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    If you are going to commute all year round then make sure you have cash for good quality kit. It can make the difference between pleasant and thoroughly horrific.

I hate to think how much I have spent on bike kit over the years. Way way more than guitars.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Honda CB125

ohc single

reliable, decent performance
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    scooter = NO

small bike = yes :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4798
    edited June 2016
    When did you pass your car lics.. ? You might find you can jump straight on a 50cc whereas a CBT will be needed for a 125cc.

50cc although not ideal on a 60mph road but it's only 8 miles and still better than being on a pushbike.
    Just a warning. If it's on the licence, you'll be entitled to ride a 50cc that is restricted to 50Kph top speed (31mph). Any faster (if you derestrict it, or someone did before you bought it) then you're legally riding a motorcycle rather than a moped, which needs the CBT (otherwise you're riding a machine you don't have a licence for) and your insurance probably isn't valid either. Unrestricted 50cc scooters can probably scrape up to 40-45mph if you're small enough. 

I used to run a motorcycle school in East London. I don't think we ever found anyone who wasn't safer and happier after taking a CBT course even if their car licence entitled them to ride a restricted 50cc moped without taking the training. It's not something I'd recommend skipping. 

Take the CBT and get a 125cc - scooter or geared bike (although my personal preference for a commuter machine would be for an automatic scooter). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4151
    Cheers all some good advice, not sure what songs needed for memorial yet though ;)