H9 - I need an education.

therose789therose789 Frets: 467
I am seriously considering a H9 but I have some questions. 

Does it link with an i tunes account for buying algorithms? Does that cause problems when buying second hand if i want to buy more patches? 

How much are algorithms? So people find the app useful for programming it? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7467
    The app is (imho) essential - on an iPad or Computer  it's especially good as you can see your presets and a full view of the relevant -Factor pedal that the patch is based on to change every parameter. Good for organising preset lists too. On iPhone the view is split across 2 swiped screens - works well though. 

Then for live use you set the 3 parameters you want fat access to to be on the X-Y-Z buttons on the unit. Neat.

It doesn't link to iTunes but you sign up an Eventide account and buy your new algorithms through the app. 

Algorithm purchases are tied to your account (usually - see later) - so if you buy someone else's used Core and then attach it to your Eventide account, the algorithms you own appear on it once synced. 

It works a bit differently if you 'Max out' a non-Max unit - I think then the device itself is a Max. there is lots of good info on all this on the Eventide site far, and the support forum there is excellent - really quick and helpful responses.
    Red ones are better. 
  • keirkeir Frets: 137
    The algorithms are linked to you personnally so if you buy one second hand any algos they've bought will be wiped when you register it in your name.

ive also found eventide to be very helpful.

I bought one as an added extra to my strymon pedals but ultimately having all those options was too much for me and I didn't really find time to learn how to use it or scratch the surface of its capabilities.

I'm currently using a wet / dry rig and found that because it has digital conversion of the signal it didn't sit right running in parallel with other effects which is why I could never get round to integrating it properly.
    Good deals with: handsomerick, majorscale, gassage, sticker, smudge_lad, anglian, edinfield99, thewiddler, thomfripp, notonlybutalso, JDE, chebellanga
  • keirkeir Frets: 137
    edited June 2016
    Meant to say that the last statement it also true if they are in some effects loops.

It does have a kill dry function so if it's on it's own activating that option solves the problem but I think it would need to be the last pedal in the loop.
    Good deals with: handsomerick, majorscale, gassage, sticker, smudge_lad, anglian, edinfield99, thewiddler, thomfripp, notonlybutalso, JDE, chebellanga
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    @timmyo is correct in saying that the algos are always linked to you rather than the device EXCEPT when the device is maxed out, in which case they are linked to the device itself (I've sold a max and it remained maxed).

I dimly remember something about if you have 2 or more and one is maxed then they all inherit this, up to a certain limit, when registered with the maxed device.
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    You can have up to 5 H9s per account. If one of them is a Max, then up to 4 others on that account also inherit all of the algorithms too.
  • BumFaceBumFace Frets: 114
    You can have up to 5 H9s per account. If one of them is a Max, then up to 4 others on that account also inherit all of the algorithms too.
    Wow.  I've got a max. So if I buy a core, I can use all the max algos on both at the same time? cushty. I don't use the H9 much if I'm honest - I bought it as more of a studio thing, but that's handy to know.
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    So it's possible to purchase an H9 core. Register it with someone who has a H9max. Max it out then sell it as a max?
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    Possible cottage industry there.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7467
    So it's possible to purchase an H9 core. Register it with someone who has a H9max. Max it out then sell it as a max?
    No.

'Maxing out' an H9 requires purchasing a certain number of algorithms and registering them to that H9.

This is not the same as registering a Core to the same Eventide account that already has a Max in it - in this case the Core inherits the 'Max' status only while it remains registered to the same user as has the real Max (or Max-ed through purchase) unit registered too.

Once you sell on the Core unit and the other person registers it to their Eventide account, it reverts to being what it was before. (again - unless it was maxed through purchase of algorithms, which is different, and not cheap) 
    Red ones are better. 
    Yeah I didn't think it would be that simple......lol