NPD: Keeping the Peace

What's Hot
pj310pj310 Frets: 41
edited June 2016 in FX
So after months of outrageously strong recommendations and saving up, I have finally managed to get my hands on the legendary Thorpy FX Peacekeeper. I wish I had something new to contribute to the reviews this pedal has got so far, but everything I think has already been covered. This thing is epic.

I've only messed around with this briefly and in isolation, but I am blown away already. The EQ covers a huge span and allows you to tailor the overdriven tones on top of your clean platform beautifully. I like to run my cleans quite scooped and chimey with no breakup, so setting this on low gain with a transparent EQ and backed off presence gives a lovely touch of hair when I dig in. Very musical and touch responsive. Finger picked notes bloom beautifully but there's a bit of snarl when I go hard with the pick. Go the other way and turn the gain and presence up and this thing has some serious bite. I honestly feel that a low gainer is a bit of a conservative description for the pedal, as using the presence control easily allows you to cover classic rock tones. I imagine this would only be more so when I get the chance to run my LP into it (only have my strat in this place). 

I really am amazed by how versatile this pedal is. It can be incredibly transparent and just add a little something to your clean tone or totally change it when engaged. I can't wait to try it together with my Muffroom Cloud, but alas that will have to wait till I can procure some more batteries :/ 

A little shout out to Mr @sherpa_man for a very smooth trade. I believe he's letting go of a fair bit of gear, so if anyone is interested in his stuff, deal with confidence, he's a top bloke :) And of course, @ThorpyFX thank you for another smashing pedal, all I can say is that the hype is more than justified! I am a very happy noodler tonight
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• pj310pj310 Frets: 41
    edited June 2016

So I used the peacekeeper as a post muff boost to get some Gilmour tones and it was brilliant. Smoothed out that extra bit of fizz and gave a really nice long sweet sustain. I found that keeping the EQ flat and just adding a slight amount of gain worked well and got me in the ballpark quite nicely. Has anyone else tried this? Do you have any particular preferences while EQing this type of setup? Calling guru @Gassage :)
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7467
    I really like my Peacekeeper post-dirtier-drive too - it does something nice after a Guv'nor, retains the grind and gives it a clearer eq and a bit of boost. Neat.  
    Red ones are better. 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30928
    Crystal- boost the mids. Simple

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    edited June 2016
    I have the warthog which is also very versatile. I wouldn't have gone for it when it was described to as a distortion pedal because it's far from just that. It can used that way of course but it can give a great over driven sound too not too different from some peace keeper sounds. Recommended

I also have a Muffroom but I'm not using it at the moment but it's there if I ever get the urge or a song requires it :) All great stuff :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 395
    Agree with the Peacekeeper - amazing sounds. Now I want to try an order swap and use it post Muffroom. Thanks for that tip off. + Cheeky post hijack....I have a Gunshot for sale!!
    @Gassage is that before or after the gain stage?
    Haven't tried the Gunshot or Warthog, but I imagine they'd both be pretty great if they're anything like the other two.
    @JonHosker give it a try I feel it works better that way. Having the low gain first just adds more gain on the muff which I find a bit pointless since I run the gain on mine very low anyway :)
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    pj310 said:
    @Gassage is that before or after the gain stage?
    Haven't tried the Gunshot or Warthog, but I imagine they'd both be pretty great if they're anything like the other two.
    @JonHosker give it a try I feel it works better that way. Having the low gain first just adds more gain on the muff which I find a bit pointless since I run the gain on mine very low anyway :)
    Ah I've never thought of it like that. So you think a booster pedal like a cruiser would be better placed after the muffroom then @Gassage?
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    Interested to hear thoughts on this as a Tubescreamer after the muff didn't work for me at all. The huge mid hump made the whole thing really overly compressed and slushy. Not a nice sound. A similar thing happened when I turned the presence all the way up on the PK which makes sense. So unless you mean find a sweet spot where it just pushes into compression, I'm assuming you mean get a mid boost by turning the treble and bass down?
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6189
    tFB Trader
    pj310 said:
    Interested to hear thoughts on this as a Tubescreamer after the muff didn't work for me at all. The huge mid hump made the whole thing really overly compressed and slushy. Not a nice sound. A similar thing happened when I turned the presence all the way up on the PK which makes sense. So unless you mean find a sweet spot where it just pushes into compression, I'm assuming you mean get a mid boost by turning the treble and bass down?
    sweet spot is probably the best option here. the muffroom can be made to boost mids as can the peacekeeper. however default is ever so slightly mid scooped on the muffroom. rather than adding a mid hump, what can be pleasing is to flatten out the scoop with the peacekeeper using a combo of the three EQ controls.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom