Full circle - (EDIT, Now 2 x NAD) Vox AC30TBX and 64 JMI AC30 Top Boost

What's Hot
DodgeDodge Frets: 1447
edited June 2016 in Amps
After messing around with Matchless and Cornell amps for so many years, I've finally realised that there is NO amp better than a Top Boost AC30 with a couple of blues in the back, so I've bought another one.  This one being a Marshall-built Korg reissue from the early 2000's.

I've only ever bought 3 amps again after selling them previously - a Matchless Lightning (bought after regretting selling the first), a Traynor YGM3 (bought as they're a bargain) and now this.

Yes it's heavy, yes my Matchless and Cornell amps were better built and sounded amazing, but they didn't do what this amp does.  Even the DC30, as lovely as that was, only managed to get 90% of the Vox thing.  It was like a V8 Vox, more muscular and perhaps a little more refined and effortless, a rounder tone with the different speakers.  An AC30 is 'airier', the DC30 purrs whereas the AC30 shouts.  There's nothing quite like it.  It's not GAS, it a realisation that I did it right a long time ago.

Ladies and gents, I give you the Vox AC30 Top Boost - the only amp that sounds good with any guitar you put through it:

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GlooperGlooper Frets: 5
    Congrats on the new amp, great looking amp in fawn, don't see many tbx's in this fawn. This one has been on my 'next amp' list for some time. Was it the one on eBay recently?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • You know what, you hit the nail on the head there and i couldnt agree more. Really regretting selling my ac30 cream edition :(
  • fenderman1fenderman1 Frets: 24
    I couldn't agree more I went down the same road with Bad Cats Cornells Two Rocks etc and ever time I did a gig I was disappointed with my sound as soon as a brought out the AC30 bingo it just sits in the mix perfectly, my AC30 is actually for sale but only as I'm having a break from gigging.
  • @Dodge "the only amp that sounds good with any guitar you put through it".

Well I'd argue a '65 DRRI does that as well, definitely... I love AC30s so much, though. That beautiful Big Star chime...glorious amp. Great choice, congrats!
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1447
    And what's better than an AC30 Top Boost?  Two AC30 Top Boosts!  I've just added it's grandfather to the collection - a 64 AC30TB with original blues, and purchased from the original owner!

It's certainly seen some action, it's also a bit of an oddball - it's a grey panel with brown grillcloth which is unusual, plus it's got the smooth tolex from before they switched to the basketweave.  It sounds epic and looks completely untouched on the inside.

The only negatives other than the state of the tolex, are that all four bottom plastic corners are missing, two handles are missing and the one remaining one is broken, one non-original chickenhead and there are a couple of screws missing too.  Hopefully someone like @ICBM or @jpfamps might have some ideas on where to source some of these?
    0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6841
    tFB Trader
    Wow! Great score @Dodge!

I must admit, I have been pondering exactly this recently. I wondered if I sound 'go back to the source' so to speak of my Bad Cat and Matchless fondness, you've certainly piqued my interest with this....mmmm, the GAS cogs doth turn again.... ;-)
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • GlooperGlooper Frets: 5
    Wow! Great find.
  • pmgpmg Frets: 299
    miserneil said:
    Wow! Great score @Dodge!

I must admit, I have been pondering exactly this recently. I wondered if I sound 'go back to the source' so to speak of my Bad Cat and Matchless fondness, you've certainly piqued my interest with this....mmmm, the GAS cogs doth turn again.... ;-)

I experimented with this earlier this year and for my tastes found that Badcat/matchless was the way forward for my sound. Don't get me wrong the Vox sounded good but didn't have the tonal refinements and muscularity of the Badcat I'm used to. My current setup is Badcat Black Cat and a Badcat Classic Deluxe, although recently been getting grips with a matchless lightning in this setup and trying different combinations. My bandmate plays an AC30 Hw and Vibrolux tho and he's extremely happy. Your call.
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1447
    pmg said:
    Don't get me wrong the Vox sounded good but didn't have the tonal refinements and muscularity of the Badcat I'm used to.
    I never had the luxury of owning the DC30 and AC30 at the same time, but the 'muscularity' is exactly why I've got the other way.  I think it's the massive power supply filtering, the parallel triode first stage and the speakers that makes the difference.  I never quite got to grips with the EF86 channel either.

I do fancy trying a Bad Cat Classic Deluxe though, I recall you looking to sell that some time early last year, glad you saw sense!
  • pmgpmg Frets: 299
    Dodge said:
    pmg said:
    Don't get me wrong the Vox sounded good but didn't have the tonal refinements and muscularity of the Badcat I'm used to.
    I never had the luxury of owning the DC30 and AC30 at the same time, but the 'muscularity' is exactly why I've got the other way.  I think it's the massive power supply filtering, the parallel triode first stage and the speakers that makes the difference.  I never quite got to grips with the EF86 channel either.

I do fancy trying a Bad Cat Classic Deluxe though, I recall you looking to sell that some time early last year, glad you saw sense!
    Yeah, once i went to a two amp setup there was no way that was going anywhere.  I finally appreciated it more as I started using Gibsons more too.  Think I'm the opposite to you as my favourite channel is the ef86.  I must say tho a matchless lightning and a LP is a glorious combination.   
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12669
    Apart from the fact that an Ac30 weighs the same as Wales they are the greatest amps ever....

I feel another on my horizon soon.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.