Ways to beef up guitar when you're the only guitarist?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2400
    Quick update - had a few more rehearsals with this band, and I think I've worked out the way to make it beefier, thanks to everyone's input :)

- Have a slight phaser effect on during rhythym, along with delay
    - Solos are scooped mids
    - Also have the bass player plugged into my Helix, and when I switch to solo, it engages an octave and distortion on his bass. Octave is set to play only an octave higher, and the distortion really fills the gaps!

Thanks all - first gig is this Friday (supporting my 'main' band), so that'll be the real test....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    Sounds like a plan - best of luck for your first gig & keep us posted!   

Are you going through the PA or pure 'back line' through your own amp?  Just a simple thought but if you're using an amp, raising it off the floor will help you to get a fuller sound and better projection out to the audience.  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11900
    Origin Effects Cali 76
  • paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    I read through the previous replies and I am going to agree, that a large percentage of the solution is for the bass player to step up and fill the rhythm/bass role more. Of course, having a good tone (sound) from the guitar setup, including appropriate use of an octave divider effect, is also part of the solution.

This is an extreme example but certainly Geddy Lee is able to "fill in" and produce a big sound all on his own, in Working Man. Note the adaption of a different bass line during the first guitar solo (1:50-2:20 approx) which is the same underlying structure as a verse. The main guitar solo (2:30-4:30) is a much more extreme and freeform example.

• paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    PS forgot to mention, sometimes a bassist going bonkers isn't the appropriate thing to do, simply playing the original bass riff with nothing more than a little boost or crunch is perfectly adequate. Probably the worst thing to happen is to be upstaged by the bassist in your guitar solo!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • In our old trio I got a larger band sound with 3 amps, one with clean guitar, 2nd with od/dist guitar and the 3rd (or PA) with the FX only signal from my EHX Mel9 (strings), EHX C9 (organ), Boss RC3 looper (stored samples), but not all on at the same time! 
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2400
    edited July 2016
    Here's a vid from the first gig we did:

That's one of the vids from the 12 or so songs we did - think it sounds OK, all things considered! Playing a festival with the guys this weekend as well, so more chance to try and get the bass player's sound right (although TBF he was using my other band's bass player's rig....!).
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    As a bassist who played in a few trios, I found I had a tendency to "dig in" a bit more during instrumentals. Which worked wonders when using valve amps over SS.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4137
    As a bassist who played in a few trios, I found I had a tendency to "dig in" a bit more during instrumentals. Which worked wonders when using valve amps over SS.

same here, as a bassist you can hold it all together or leave space for guitar to fill, but an old Precision through a valve head is a great sound! 
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    Further to my gig on Friday night, an open backed 1x12 combo is not a good way to have a beefy tone when you're the only guitarist.