Joe Morgan of Morgan Amplification

What's Hot
LaurieLaurie Frets: 97
edited October 2016 in FX
This doesn't surprise me. Looks like a healthy dose of long overdue and deserved bad karma is coming Joe's way.

My experience buying an amplifier directly from Joe has been nothing but a nightmare and horribly negative struggle.  It's a long story and I won't get into the details, but let's just say, it's the worst customer service/care and gear purchasing decision I've ever encountered/made!

2 years down the track, and I've still got and amp (expensive paper weight!), which doesn't work, and am quite a bit out of pocket from this sour deal. 

Joe is NOT a man of his word and from what I can see, he's done the same thing he did to me to many others.  Horrible stuff!!

Anyway, I've kinda got an axe to grind - so I'll stop.  Best to try to keep things positive - a little contradictory, I know.

Has anyone else here on this forum had experiences dealing with Joe Morgan directly?  I'm curious to hear whether or not you were taken care of?

Hehe ~ I got taken for a ride.  I knew I should have just bought from Valvetrain Amps or Tunsten Amps instead!!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9571
    @ttony - mods, Id keep you eyes on this one...
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • What's the karma? Are Morgan Amps in trouble?

Sorry to hear you had a rough time.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27115
    I've not heard anything negative before but it wouldn't be the first boutiquey guy to take money from future orders to pay for current builds and run into trouble when that becomes Obviously A Really Bad Idea.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3423
    edited June 2016
    Mr Morgan has a long trail of devastation behind him. However,@laurie - Morgan are now part of the boutique amp distribution family (! - same folks who make Friedman and 65amps amongst others, Egnater basically) and BAD have promised to make whole anyone affected by joe's broken promises. If you haven't already, contact them and lay out your tale of woe and there's a good chance things might get resolved...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NotNowJohnNotNowJohn Frets: 187
    It's a real shame that Joe Morgan seems to be an idiot as IMHO his amps are great. I hope BAD helps to restore Morgan's reputation.
    It's a story that keeps on rolling sadly...
  • LaurieLaurie Frets: 97
    edited June 2016
    Thanks for your support guys.

I really appreciate that. 

Just to try and answer some of the questions put forth by some of you fine fellas.  From what I understand after reading the TGP thread I linked in my opening post, Joe's falsely advertised his latest fuzz pedal as being loaded with NKT275 Germanium transistors.  Joe's narrative on how he came to possess his wonderful cache of rare NOS Germanium Transistors tells two stories. One, he serendipitously happened to stumble across hundreds of discarded and unwanted NKT275's when he set-up shop in a different factory - previously owned/rented by a music parts distribution co. Score!!

The other story goes, he managed to acquire the highly sought after NKT275's through some other source.  The details are in the TGP thread link and on Morgan's website.

Things get fishier when a guy who bought the NKT275 Morgan fuzz, specifically because he believed it was wired with the advertised NKT275 transistors, discovered it's fitted with a completely different set of Germanium transistors.  Analogmike confirmed the Morgan Fuzz doesn't have the famous NKT275's in it.

Stuff's yet to be confirmed, however, it does appear something's rottin' in Denmark.  

My experience with Joe is a really long story.  And please believe me when I say I've lost a lot of sleep over my decision to buy an amp directly from Joe Morgan.  It's been an ongoing saga which has been going on for years now, and I still have an expensive paper-weight of a dud amp and have lost a lot of hard-earned money in this transaction.

Moe_Zambeek really hit the nail on the head when he said, "Joe's broken promises".  This is essentially what it is.  A guy who doesn't deliver on his promises.

I've spent so much time and energy over the years desperately trying to get the amp I forked out a fat wad of cash for.  Still don't have it.

I don't want to go on about it.  In many ways, by starting this thread I'm further expending energy on this matter.  Not something I really want to do - just wanna play music:)

Felt it best to let you guys know.  Especially in the case where a guy (or guys) on this forum board are thinking about buying a Morgan amp, or NKT275 Fuzz and dealing directly with Joe Morgan.  If you choose to deal directly with Joe, you're rolling the dice and be very wary. 

That's my experience and my honest advice.

Thanks Moe_Zambeek, too.  I had no idea Morgan are part of BAD!  Perhaps there is a light at the end of this long and dark tunnel.

Cheers fellas:)

*edit* The karma thing.  Well, I'm sure his business will carry on.  I hope Joe turns it around and treats his customers with more respect and fulfills his promises, etc.  It's just nice to see him get a bit of a flogging on TGP, especially given there are apparently a whole lot of players who have been (still are) in a similar situation to mine and some poor guys who's situation is worse.  It bugged me to see him receiving so much praise in the comments section on YT for his amps at NAMM, after what I'm going through, and many others are going through dealing with this guy.  I stayed out of it all and tried to remain magnanimous and positive about it all.  It's nice to be nice, and there's something to be said for 'gracefulness', but I couldn't resist throwing in my 2 bob's worth in on this matter.  L8R
    @Laurie - sorry to hear it mate, and after seeing years of such threads on TGP, I know that sadly you are not alone...
  • Ha, I didn't see the link on "This", apologies! Thanks for the explanation, will read soon.

Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Jonathanthomas83;1104905" said:
    Ha, I didn't see the link on "This", apologies! Thanks for the explanation, will read soon.
    Honestly don't bother it just served to remind me why I never go to tgp.
  • pmgpmg Frets: 298
    This isnt the 1st negative story I've seen about this chap but aren't the amps of his which work supposed to be pretty good? I did a fair bit of research on boutique amps a few years ago before buying a Badcat and found a lot of negative press about Morgan customer care (or lack of). Must be terrible to be a victim of this.
  • NotNowJohnNotNowJohn Frets: 187
    I've owned a Morgan SW22R since last August and it is truly excellent. 
    It therefore baffles and frustrates me that a company that can engineer such a great amp would behave in such a twattish way.

• LewLew Frets: 1657
    I had an MV45. It was a GREAT sounding amp but I couldn't dial out this certain honky mid range. Didn't help that I had Creamback H which I found brittle and spiky.
  • LaurieLaurie Frets: 97
    edited October 2016
    @Laurie - sorry to hear it mate, and after seeing years of such threads on TGP, I know that sadly you are not alone...
    Thank you @Wazmeister!

Unfortunately I'm not alone. It's been a very expensive lesson for me. Lost over USD$2K on this shirty BS deal and Joe has apparently taken my money and run.

But, I do have a lovely looking heavy object to keep the back door open on windy days...

Always look on the bright side of life.. duh duh.. duh......

Presently saving for a "Lazy J" !!