What's you favourite Bruce Foxton tone?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• PaulWarningPaulWarning Frets: 914
    Neill said:
    Every time I watch "Mock the Week" I think Paul Weller must be sick of hearing that intro given that Bruce Foxton is getting the royalties and IIRC Weller thought it was one of The Jam's weakest songs.

not sure that's true, it was reasonably successful single 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2291
    Precision. Apparently Phil Lynott advised him to switch.  When I play bass on tracks I literally start by getting a Foxton type tone. Always sounded superb and frankly most live Jam recordings without him would be unlistenable because Wellers live tone was mostly not very good. 

Thick as Thieves is pretty near perfect in every respect and they opening section is percent. The all mod cons onward tones are all spectacularly good. 

• PaulWarningPaulWarning Frets: 914
    rze99 said:
    Precision. Apparently Phil Lynott advised him to switch.  When I play bass on tracks I literally start by getting a Foxton type tone. Always sounded superb and frankly most live Jam recordings without him would be unlistenable because Wellers live tone was mostly not very good. 

Thick as Thieves is pretty near perfect in every respect and they opening section is percent. The all mod cons onward tones are all spectacularly good. 

there's a few bass players that have switched from Ric to P bass, Michael Bradley from the Undertones is another, can't recall anybody that's gone the other way.
    Agree with Wellers tone, way to trebly and undefined for my tastes
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16296
    rze99 said:

there's a few bass players that have switched from Ric to P bass, Michael Bradley from the Undertones is another, can't recall anybody that's gone the other way.

There’s a Jam gig on Sky Arts I was watching a bit of, Weller’s guitar was just fizz as I recall it. May have been lots of reasons of course but it just sounded better when he didn’t play and it was vocals, bass ( Precision) and drums. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2291
    rze99 said:

I like wellers recorded tones a lot especially before he got too into the harsh Peavey distortion on eg Private Hell. The Vox tone and the parts were Much more controlled and defined. 
  • NeillNeill Frets: 943
    rze99 said:

There’s a Jam gig on Sky Arts I was watching a bit of, Weller’s guitar was just fizz as I recall it. May have been lots of reasons of course but it just sounded better when he didn’t play and it was vocals, bass ( Precision) and drums. 
    I think most The Jam fans know that "Down in the Tube Station at Midnight" almost never saw the light of day because Paul Weller didn't rate the version the band had recorded.  But I recall Bruce Foxton saying in an interview that the specific reason was that Weller thought there was too much "space" in the song. 

Much as I like The Jam, I do think that Weller's guitar sound threatens to overwhelm the sound sometimes, "Dig the New Breed" could have been a classic live album but the guitar sound is just too sloppy.  I think Weller at that time was afraid to leave "space" in the songs. 

Having said that, when he formed the Style Council there was too much space...  What about their dreadful performance on Live Aid.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14446
    There's a few bass players that have switched from Ric to P bass … can't recall anybody that's gone the other way.
    Barry Adamson alternated between both throughout the first five album releases by Magazine. 

Yes. I know that Barry's R-type bass was an Ibanez copy.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7788

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister