Best high gain lunchbox amp?

What's Hot

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26714
    ennspek said:
    I can't say I've ever thought the Kraken is lacking bottom end whenever I've heard one. That's the one I'd be most interested in trying.
    You're welcome to come and try mine if you fancy driving 30 miles across the A47 and don't mind being covered in dog hair...
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    @digitalscream I'd be covered in dog hair before I left!
    I'd actually really like to do that at some point mate. That's a really kind offer thank you.
  • @cabicular The Pink Taco is also an option, indeed. Sounds great! Always that thing in the back of my head about whether I want a British or American sounding amp. The British tone doesn't wear thin with me as often as the American thing does, but when I want that American tone, I REALLY want it.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Jonathanthomas83;1109537" said:
    @cabicular The Pink Taco is also an option, indeed. Sounds great! Always that thing in the back of my head about whether I want a British or American sounding amp. The British tone doesn't wear thin with me as often as the American thing does, but when I want that American tone, I REALLY want it.
    I feel the same way. The Kraken is designed to take both of the classic UK/USA tube set ups iirc. This is one of the things that interested me about it.
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    @cabicular The Pink Taco is also an option, indeed. Sounds great! Always that thing in the back of my head about whether I want a British or American sounding amp. The British tone doesn't wear thin with me as often as the American thing does, but when I want that American tone, I REALLY want it.
    Im not actually sure which I would class the PT
    It really all depends on what you do with the mid control :)
    ennspek said:
    I feel the same way. The Kraken is designed to take both of the classic UK/USA tube set ups iirc. This is one of the things that interested me about it.
    Yep...I've got the EL34 version. It was the last one of either type that Andertons had in stock when I went to try it out, and coincidentally it's the one I was interested in. I'm glad, because I love it (in case that wasn't obvious...).
    <space for hire>
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6215
    tFB Trader
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    ThorpyFX said:
    At that price, you might as well pay the extra £150 or so and get the warranty.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EvildurkaEvildurka Frets: 351
    The kraken does not lack bottom end. If any criticism can be pointed at victory amps as a whole it is that they have masses of bottom end. I had to get my silverback modded so that I could reign the bottom end in. One of the guys in Facebook victory amp owners club sold his engl after buying a kraken.

Everyone has a tone that them is the best try out whatever you can. I have owned a mini rec, dark terror, irt studio, 5150 50w and a Kraken. I have never played on an Engl though so I can't give a comparison on that. The 5150 and Kraken are the winners out of those 5. Laney and Orange were excellent. The Mesa was disappointing. Clean was amazing distortion sounded Woolley.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm struggling to find a good demo with plenty of saturation with the Kraken, either that or it's just not the sound I'm after. 

• professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    digitalscream;1109420" said:
    ennspek said:

I can't say I've ever thought the Kraken is lacking bottom end whenever I've heard one. That's the one I'd be most interested in trying.

You're welcome to come and try mine if you fancy driving 30 miles across the A47 and don't mind being covered in dog hair...
    Just to be clear @digitalscream doesn't own a dog, it's just a fetish he imposed on all his house guests.

" Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Jonathanthomas83;1110856" said:
    I'm struggling to find a good demo with plenty of saturation with the Kraken, either that or it's just not the sound I'm after. 
    The only issue I have seen so far with the Kraken is that the demos are very 'djenty' which is great if that's what you are after. But I suspect the amp is more versatile than that.

edited June 2016
    Jonathanthomas83;1110856" said:
    I'm struggling to find a good demo with plenty of saturation with the Kraken, either that or it's just not the sound I'm after. 
    The only issue I have seen so far with the Kraken is that the demos are very 'djenty' which is great if that's what you are after. But I suspect the amp is more versatile than that.

Well...I wasn't going to post this, 'cos I was feeling ropey as hell and not really in the mood for doing a video, but I don't think it sounds particularly djent-y (turn it up, 'cos it's recorded quietly to try to avoid the worst of YouTube's compression):

To everyone: Yes, I entered a competition on Rob's channel. Please don't make an issue of it...
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7490
    edited June 2016
    digitalscream;1114299" said:
    professorben said:

Jonathanthomas83;1110856" said:I'm struggling to find a good demo with plenty of saturation with the Kraken, either that or it's just not the sound I'm after. 

Well...I wasn't going to post this, 'cos I was feeling ropey as hell and not really in the mood for doing a video, but I don't think it sounds particularly djent-y (turn it up, 'cos it's recorded quietly to try to avoid the worst of YouTube's compression)
    :

To everyone: Yes, I entered a competition on Rob's channel. Please don't make an issue of it...
    That's some fat fat distortion. Sounds excellent!
    digitalscream;1114299" said:
    professorben said:

Jonathanthomas83;1110856" said:I'm struggling to find a good demo with plenty of saturation with the Kraken, either that or it's just not the sound I'm after. 

Well...I wasn't going to post this, 'cos I was feeling ropey as hell and not really in the mood for doing a video, but I don't think it sounds particularly djent-y (turn it up, 'cos it's recorded quietly to try to avoid the worst of YouTube's compression):

Great tones man, not at all 'djenty'

Now if I remember correctly this is not the only Chapman video you have featured on now is it?
    @digitalscream is that to Two Notes Torpedo?
    edited June 2016
    Great tones man, not at all 'djenty'

Now if I remember correctly this is not the only Chapman video you have featured on now is it?
    Cheers, and no...but we don't speak of that.

@digitalscream is that to Two Notes Torpedo?
    Nope, but close. It's a reactive load (made by @randomhandclaps as a prototype), running straight into my interface, then Reaper running the Redwirez impulses. If memory serves, I used the Mesa V30 4x12" pack; mics were SM57 and AKG C414, 5" from the dust cap. If all you're doing is recording, it's a much cheaper way of doing things.
    <space for hire>
  • @digitalscream, nice video. And very cool setup, I use a reactive load with Redwirez impulses too, they're great!

• Ironball now £620 in a few places. £230 cheaper than a kraken