Played through an Orange Crush 4x12 last night...

What's Hot
Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
It sounded harsh and brittle.

But then I rolled the presence and treble on my VH100R down, and boosted the bass a bit, and it sounded fantastic. Wasn't really expecting it to sound any good when I saw it was a 'crush' cab coz I'd just written that stuff off as cheap garbage to be honest.

But it was cracking. Much preferred it to the larger PPC cabs that Orange do!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72539
    Important point: amplifiers have tone controls which have more than one setting.

:)

Seriously, I think a lot of people forget this - they tend to dial in their favourite tone and then not move very far (or at all) from it, even when they change something else - guitar, pedal, cab, attenuator etc - and then blame the other piece of gear for not sounding good, whereas really it's just that the amp needs to be adjusted slightly.

I haven't heard a Crush cabinet yet, but the heads do sound very good.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Yup! We're all guilty of dialing in EQ with our eyes I think!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Ty Tabor is using the Orange Crush now and he is sounding great.  They still will never sound as good as his Lab series rig. 
  • I'm a big fan of the TH30 combo. The cleans are great and very punchy and the gain channel is brutal (in a good way), and the effects loop is good.
  • Tuscan777Tuscan777 Frets: 125
    ICBM;1107239" said:
    Important point: amplifiers have tone controls which have more than one setting.

Mine doesn't....Rocker 30 natural channel!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72539
    Tuscan777 said:

Mine doesn't....Rocker 30 natural channel!
    Cheat. Having an amp which sounds good through any cabinet and with any guitar doesn't count.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5163
    Ty Tabor is using the Orange Crush now and he is sounding great. 

In fairness, he'd probably sound great on a ukulele strung with rubber bands plugged in to a megaphone.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    english_bob;1111462" said:
    bingefeller said:

Ty Tabor is using the Orange Crush now and he is sounding great.  In fairness, he'd probably sound great on a ukulele strung with rubber bands plugged in to a megaphone.
    Yeah he probably would! I think I read that, on one of his old guitars, the strings hadn't been changed in years.