Small practice amp thread - options!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• dchwhitedchwhite Frets: 182
    Peter Hamstead fixed my Vaporizer for a decent price. Not SS, but it's not exactly boutique valve either!
    Stonevibe: 'The best things in life aren't things'.

Trading feedback: Previous (+18) and Current

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    dchwhite;1108991" said:
    Peter Hamstead fixed my Vaporizer for a decent price. Not SS, but it's not exactly boutique valve either!
    Peter is moving away from repairs I think, they're so busy with builds!
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Have you thought about a Palmer Eins? Might be worth a look.
    I have a lead 12, bigger one though, and it's great fun.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17659
    tFB Trader
    I suggest having a stern word with yourself about priorities and then buying a JCM800 and a 4x12. 

How are your neighbours supposed to enjoy your playing otherwise.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    ICBM;1108194" said:
    Me too, given the number of amps with headphone jacks that are basically useless.

Given that there's plenty of signal level available from the amp - actually too much usually, with modern 32-ohm headphones and the traditional series-resistor arrangement - it should be possible to make a passive one that's fairly effective, it really just needs a high-pass and a low-pass filter. You could also make it convenient by having a 1/4" plug on a captive cable and a 3mm socket on the box, so avoiding the need for an adaptor as well.

Given that the potential market is more or less anyone who owns an amp with a headphone jack that was made before the late 90s, and some more recently, I would think it's worth looking into for someone.
    There are these which sound quite reasonable. http://www.tube-town.net/ttstore/Kits/Needful-Things/Kit-TT-Cab-Sim-DI::6263.html
    Not an impulse response by any means but perfectly useable.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16299
    H and K Tubemeister 5? Head or 1x8 combo. Not sure they make them any more but includes a Red Box and a few other options. Not too sure how Marshallesque it is and ,err, doesn't actually have a headphone socket now I think about it , I think, but the Red Box can be used with a dummy load ( isn't this right?) straight into a mixer or something else with a headphone out for silent use. And it glows in the dark. Glows. :bz
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • monquixote;1111600" said:
    I suggest having a stern word with yourself about priorities and then buying a JCM800 and a 4x12. 

How are your neighbours supposed to enjoy your playing otherwise.
    You're probably right, but it's a fairly severe downsize and it's literally a floorspace issue

Although a 2x12 could double as a coffee table, right?
  • EricTheWeary;1111971" said:
    H and K Tubemeister 5? Head or 1x8 combo. Not sure they make them any more but includes a Red Box and a few other options. Not too sure how Marshallesque it is and ,err, doesn't actually have a headphone socket now I think about it , I think, but the Red Box can be used with a dummy load ( isn't this right?) straight into a mixer or something else with a headphone out for silent use. And it glows in the dark. Glows. :bz
    I tried one when released and thought it sounded like a shrill fart.

Sad, but true. If the music radar forum was still around, I think you'd see that comment somewhere.

That said... It might do the trick and maybe I tried a dud. Added to the shortlist.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16299
    EricTheWeary;1111971" said:
    I tried one when released and thought it sounded like a shrill fart.

Sad, but true. If the music radar forum was still around, I think you'd see that comment somewhere.

That said... It might do the trick and maybe I tried a dud. Added to the shortlist.
    I've only tried one once, at a guitar show and it was a bit lost in the general noise. The 18 seemed massively better so I'm optimistic about how the 5 might be for recording,etc, via the built in red box. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I'm a big fan of the thr for a living room amp but I'd grab the Marshall on offer. It won't take up any more space - just taller and will be more fun to run pedals into.
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    The tube meister 5 sounds really shrill, it's far too bright even with the treble turned down. The 18 is slightly better but the new Deluxe models seem to have solved the problem.
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    That was the issue I had with the Grandmeister. I found it nigh on impossible to get a warm sound whatever I did to the EQ.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I liked both the Tubemeister 5 & 18, great amps, especially for recording, the speaker emulation is great.