Your favorite amp head and cab combination?

TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7811
So was wondering what people's favorite amp and cab combinations are. It's not really an area where I've been able to try many combinations out, I've only have had my current Vox NT 2x12 G1230h box and a long gone Marshall Vintage 1960 4x12, so I'm interested in what people think matches well.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    edited June 2016
    I like 2x12 closed back cabs the best. Even better if they still have some nice low end punch and girth when lifted off the ground - I've had 2x12s that suddenly lose all their balls when they're not coupled with the floor, and that becomes hell because live, you might have to put your cab on all kinds of surfaces; it's nice if the cab has the right low end in its own right.

I've also had 2x12s that are too resonant. In the maelstrom of internet wisdom, we know all about ply cabs being better than MDF because MDF sounds dead. But if the cab is too resonant, the lows and lower mids get cloudy sounding and it feels like your tone is fighting to get out into the room.

My amp's a combo so technically I should shut up, but balls to you. My favourite cab ever is the one that's built in to my Mesa Stiletto Ace - it's a properly closed back cab. It's tight, it's clear, and it's got good low end even when it's raised on wheels. It's also got 2x 1979 G12-65s in it, which are my favourite speakers. As far as I can tell, the cab works with anything - As well as the Mesa amp, i've plugged an AC30, Orange AD30, Marshall JMP50 and a Black Pearl 30 into it, and they all sounded great.

So to answer your question, I suppose I'd say my favourite combination is something 50 watts and Marshally into a closed back 2x12 with G12-65s. It'll cover anything I want to do.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30939
    Hiwatt DR103 and SE4123 cab

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7811
    @Cirrus interesting point about the 2x12 - my VOX NT sounds loads better when on the floor. Raise it up and it's shrill, loses all Bass. I keep thinking of trying G12-65s too.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    My favourites would be:

Orange OR50 into Mesa vertical recto 212 - just sounded devastating!

Laney gh50l into a jcm900 lead 412 - all the crunch and grunt anyone could ever need.

Mesa tremoverb into Framus dragon 412. Bloody loud, huge low end too!