PA Comparison

What's Hot
RolandRoland Frets: 8713
edited June 2016 in Live
This evening we compared four PA systems to see whether we can improve sound quality and reduce weight and space. We used my Mackie SRM450s and sub, RCF Evoke, LD Systems Maui, and for reference the Bose L2. Our conclusions won't be surprising to many. 

The Bose was nice at low volume, and would suit an acoustic gig. It couldn't provide the volume that the average pub gig needs, and would be lost in a ballroom.

The RCFs were marginally better than the Mackies, but not enough to make us want to spend the money. I also thought they sounded rather hard. They weren't too bad for voice, but lacked warmth. For guitar they lacked lower mid range. The subs, of which there are two, are similar in weight and size to the SRM450s so there's no weight or size advantage.

The Maui was much better than the RCF Evoke, which is reflected in the price differential. Vocals were warm and full, but there still wasn't enough mid range to carry the guitar. Worse, the mid range came from the lower half of the column array, which means that it would be blocked by bodies on stage, or in the front row of the audience. The subs are a two man lift, and the whole system would take up more room in the car than what we currently have.

We videoed the session so YouTube clips should be available shortly.

My personal conclusion: there are things which will improve on the Mackies, but neither of these was it.

Can anyone suggest what we should try next?
Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Something from Yamaha. DBR10's/DXR10's and the DXS12 sub. Lovely!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7288
    How did you lay your hands on gear to try? did you hire or just manage to borrow off mates etc?

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8713
    edited June 2016
    We talked to a dealer, and arranged for them to bring it to a rehearsal in return for us videoing proceedings. The only way that you can judge this type of thing is by hearing it in context, so we hired a school hall for the evening. The suppliers were as interested as we were to hear it in a real situation. They played with the desk to explore the strengths and weaknesses of each product in different areas of the spectrum, and at different volumes. Yes, the neighbours did complain at one point when we step the lack of feedback at high volume
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3128

Hk  Club Pak and Nexo 
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    I'm currently looking in to doing something similar. We're a 5 piece rock covers band and currently using 2 RCF 325 tops with DB 15 subs. From what I've heard the line array style system you've tried don't have the oomph for a band. I was planning on 2 RCF 710 tops and 2 702 subs, or possibly the Yamaha dxr10s and dxs12 subs. Would love the opportunity to give them a good try first, that's really good of the shop to do that. If you do settle on soothing let me know what, I'd be very interested to hear.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10413

We at 2020 studios have a lot of HK PA stuff, about 4 different rigs and a lot of Dart and Fast monitors. PA is a funny thing, you can pay a lot for what is seemed to be in vogue at the moment and you can pass by some great bargains. We have an HK Linear Pro system, 4 x 18" subs and 2 X 15" tops with horns power by 2 X HK amps and an = active processor that was about £1200 2nd hand but that system has done a shedload of outdoor and theatre shows at £400 a pop, it's paid it's self many many times. 

The biggest earning covers band I'm in use an HK Actor DX which is 4 X 15" bins and 2 X 12" tops. I also play in another band, The Italian Job that uses's 2 X SRM 450's with the 18" bins and the Actor is a step up from that sonic wise ..... it basically sounds like a giant hi fi . I do like the SRM's though considering they are so cheap. 

One thing to bear in mind is your never get the best out of any PA without a decent desk. If you have a decent desk with dynamics on every channel, sweepable high pass filter and surgical 5 or more band EQ with adjustable Q width you can pretty much tame every source to not stress the PA. Certainly I can get a much higher performance out of a set of SRM's with something like a QU16 than I can with an older desk like a GL1200. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    @Danny1969. The rigs you've described sound ideal if we weren't so space constrained, I'm the only one in the band with a decent sized car (Toyota RAV4 4) so even with our current rig of 2 RCF tops and 2 15 subs I struggle to get it all in so end up leaving half my guitar gear at home. Any recommendations for good and small PA? It's a 5 piece band but normally just small pub gigs
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10413
    John_A said:
    @Danny1969. The rigs you've described sound ideal if we weren't so space constrained, I'm the only one in the band with a decent sized car (Toyota RAV4 4) so even with our current rig of 2 RCF tops and 2 15 subs I struggle to get it all in so end up leaving half my guitar gear at home. Any recommendations for good and small PA? It's a 5 piece band but normally just small pub gigs
    In yet another band I'm in we use an Electro-voice system of 2 X SBA760 subs and 2 X Electro-voice tops which go on the poles that slot in the bins. It's small enough to fit in an estate car but packs an incredible punch for it's side. Reliable as y well, we used to dry hire out the same system and never had any problems. 
    The QSC K series is similar to the above, a little cheaper as well
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Thanks for the info.  a QU16 is probably a bit out of budget at the minute, so our little Behringer will have to do.  Do you know which EV tops you are using?