Egnater tweaker

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72433
    I'm sure there are some that don't break. I only see the ones that do, normally - and the occasional one which comes into the shop for sale, which often show evidence of having broken and been repaired in the past…

It will be interesting to see if the same is true of Egnaters in a few years.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    ICBM said:
    The two my friend had trouble with recently were Rebel 30s.
    Maybe I'm on borrowed time then. Good job I take a backup whenever I gig.
  • Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    What's the volume level like on these?  

I've got a bit of spare cash collecting dust and was thinking of getting one of these to play at home.  Does it go from zero to bastard loud like I've heard a lot of small valve amps do or is a tame-able volume?  

I would prefer something that has a bit of clean headroom at a lowish volume rather than try and fry the valves but still hear the telly over it.

I guess speaker size is more relevant than wattage in that sense but just wanted to know what they're like at pretty low volumes.

Ta!
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    edited June 2016
    The volume is tame able in my experience. I've got one I should sell but I'd get nothing for it. When one of my dogs was a puppy he basically chewed it's face off.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3497
    edited June 2016
    ennspek said:
    The volume is tame able in my experience. I've got one I should sell but I'd get nothing for it. When one of my dogs was a puppy he basically chewed it's face off.
    List it at twice it's original price and in its description describe it as a 'relic'.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    edited June 2016
    Oh this is beyond relic, but I like your thinking. I'll take a pic.
  • MoANjAmMoANjAm Frets: 12
    I have the 15w and the 40W tweakers. Fabulous Amps esp the 15W when dimmed.

Disagree that there are not loud enough. I play rock covers with 2 guitarists in pubs n clubs with loud, good drummer. Last 2 gigs not bothered to mic my cab up. NB I go straight into return in so only using power section, then into a Heinz 2x12

Transformer issue were with 40W output solenoid but mine have alr day been replaced. For £300 they are unbeatable value.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    Jeeeeeesus!!!!!

Tonight's practice.... some Orange amp. It was crackling. The distortion sounded absolutely god-awful. I know Orange amps' distortion has a characteristic "buzz/fizz" but this sounded like a bumblebee in a tin can. 

Then I went to some digital Marshall head connected to a Marshall cab. Oh my God, truly awful. I couldn't make anything out - so muchy. Had to turn the bass right down and still thought it sounded pants. 

I was so downbeat - terrible sound!! Also, I was playing my PRS with the 85/15s and to me they have a lot of grit in the bridge position. I prefer 57/08s which are lower output and less grit, as such - so I'm now questioning whether or not to fit 57/08s to the purple one and have two identical guitars... or go hand-made... or just sell and make do with one great PRS. I wonder if it's really the pickup or something to do with the guitar because the 59/09s also sounded a bit harsh in the bridge position. 

Anyway!! A good amp really makes such a massive difference.....
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Were you in the depot by any chance? The amps and cabs are all pretty fucked in there Since I started rehearsing in Berkley 2 in Glasgow I couldn't go back
    No, 7th Harmonic..
  • @thomasross20 If you want to try a valve amp that'll do 80s rock why don't you try a jet city jca22h? Won't bust your bank. Get a 1x12 cab with a decent speaker (cream back?) second hand and you'll be set up for around 300 squids.

Or get an orange rocker 30 combo, which is the nuts. But no effects loop.

The jet city custom 22 might do it, too, cleaner cleans and gainier gains apparently.
    Are any of those individual items heavier than 15kg?

My Blackstar is 26kg and even that's a pain.
    I was thinking NL212 lightweight cab and portable head.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11879
    I looked into a Tweaker prior to getting my Atma. Back then the choices are much less than it is now, Victory didn't even exist then and the only other lunchbox amps on the market really were Vox Night Train or Orange Tiny Terror or the Marshall 1W anniversary amps. Neither of them I liked very much. The Tweaker from what I gather is very flexible but from my research the company shifted production to China and a lot of corners were cut, there were reports of all sorts of reasons, you can read about them in TGP and it got to a point where you couldn't buy them new anyone. The only new one that I've found was a combo and I wanted a head and that one was an ex-demo. In the end with all the reports of unreliability and the company basically gone silent over social media or any new product release, I began to look elsewhere. The Atma is14lbs, Marshall sounds through the ages from 60's to 80's with even a black face clean to boot. The clean channel really is a clean channel. Of course, with a price tag to match but then I am always in the camp that upgrading is money down the drain, get the best that you can in step 1 then you will save money down the line. I have no urge now to get other Marshall flavour amps, I see all these Friedman Pink Taco or whatever new lunchbox amps out there and I am happy with what've I've got. With the Lazy J now, what more does a man need?
    Lazy J weighs a tonne? 

Agree about getting the best gear at step 1...
    The Blackstar is an excellent, excellent gigging amp. Just a bit heavy for me.
  • Lazy J weighs a tonne? 

Agree about getting the best gear at step 1...
    The Blackstar is an excellent, excellent gigging amp. Just a bit heavy for me.

I doubt it, it's only 20 watts or so and made of pine. Tweed deluxe based, so it won't do the tighter rock tones I've heard in your videos. The jet city jca22h is a small head. Another option is the Laney lh50. Easily portable head with a toroidal tranny to keep size down. Not that heavy. Then add a 1x12 cab with a creamback and you'll have a more portable, more easily carried loud combo with wonderful clean, great 80s esque British drive and a master volume.
  • I carried an lh50 one handed across Norwich about 4 miles back to my student flat after a gig. Tiring and achey arms but the size means it's doable easily.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11879
    edited June 2016
    The lazy j20 isn't that heavy, it weights about the same as my Bogner cube cab. But it's not a metal amp though.
    FYI I don't play metal or weak-ass rock ;) ;) Lol...
    Will check out these recommendations later on. 
    FYI I like the look of Jet City, and remember that Atma looking very cool (but loud enough for gigs, un-mic'd??)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72433
    At the volume your band plays, anything over about 10W will be enough through a fairly efficient cab. After that it's just about headroom, tone and feel rather than volume really.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Sorted then! That helps open up the amp space I can look at