small combo amp advice

Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7828
edited June 2016 in Amps
I'm wondering of there is such a thing as a small combo which will give me a slightly breaking up clean along the lines of an AC15C1, without the size, weight and price.

So compact without sounding too boxy (if that's possible) and sub-£150 (s/h if necessary).

Any suggestions ? 
"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    edited June 2016
    The Laney Cubs might be a good shout, although they're not particularly Voxy.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9671
    You could easily get a Vox AC4 for that. There's also a version with a Top Boost circuit and a 12" speaker, but I guess that might be a bit more expensive.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7828
    I may well pop to PMT just to see if an AC4 will go clean enough, having had a quick look around I might try the AV15 too.
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3055
    You could easily get a Vox AC4 for that. There's also a version with a Top Boost circuit and a 12" speaker, but I guess that might be a bit more expensive.
    I had a Vox ac4tv and it was the most boxy amp I've ever heard. Maybe the more expensive handwired ac4's are better? I think you'd be better off with a VT series amp really.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72539
    Vox VT20 or second hand AD30.

The AC15 model on them is excellent.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7828
    cheers folks - looks like a trip to PMT is on the to-do list :)
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    edited June 2016
    I agree with @Flanging_Fred, I own a Vox AC4TV is very boxy sounding indeed.
    We are all Chameleons...
  • BoopDeWoopBoopDeWoop Frets: 101
    edited June 2016
    I have an AC15 and it's a bit heavy and cumbersome. I use an AC10 as a lighter grab and go version for weekly rehearsals. It's nice, light and sounds pretty good. It's properly loud though and I tried AC4s and the AC10 was much more proper. Plus it has a lot of crunch gain and sounds good at all volumes, home and cranked- I've never had it past 12 o'clock though...
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4194
    I might have my Belcat 20r up for sale soon, it's basically a Blues Jnr 22w all valve and a cracking amp
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6096
    simonk said:
    The Laney Cubs might be a good shout, although they're not particularly Voxy.
    I have the Laney Cub 10, it has 2 x 6V6's so more Fender than Vox. It's a very simple amp and the breakup comes in very smoothly. Pedals sound very good with it even without an fx loop. I play it through an Excelsior cabinet with a 15" which can get a lot louder than the built in 10". Use it for bass and guitar at home levels and it handles them both fine. I recommend trying one out if you can.