What's a good cheap clean boost?

What's Hot
siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
edited June 2016 in FX
Fancy a clean boost but wanna do it the cheapskate way lol....so whats out there for peasants?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jpttaylorjpttaylor Frets: 467
    Have a look at the EHX LPB-1 boost - it's a classic and only costs about £25 I think.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27034
    http://www.booinstruments.com/guitar-effects/pedals/boost-pedal-volume-gain-solo-solos/

Of course, it depends on your definition of "cheap", but it's absolutely the best flat, clean boost I've ever used.
    <space for hire>
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8082
    Moore pure boost is excellent. Tiny footprint too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    Cheers guys will check all those out....and what about the boss EQ pedal? Does that qualify?
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5106
    siraxeman said:
    Cheers guys will check all those out....and what about the boss EQ pedal? Does that qualify?

Absolutely, depending of course what you are looking for, with the Boss GE-7 you can boost specific frequency bands or just increase the output of the pedal for a clean boost, used I front of other drives it can increase the gain, used after to sculpt your tone, or even in the fx loop ( if you have one) to give a straight volume jump. There's one in our local guitar shop for about £45 quid methinks. Should be tons on eBay or the classifieds here
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5106
    edited June 2016
    @siraxman I used to use an eq pedal for exactly this, I set it up in the fx loop, dropping some low frequencies, boosting the mids slightly and a small volume boost, made my leads jump right of of the mix, but then I use a really filthy rhythm tone, so I didn't need any extra gain to solo.
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    Did i read @ICBM said that EQ-boost in the loop can damage some amps?
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4625
    edited June 2016
    I found the LPB boost to dirty my tone quite a bit. The Rowin boost is very clean if you want it to be, has treble and bass controls too
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    edited June 2016
    A second-hand BBE Boosta Grande. (+20db)

or, as others have said, a cheap EQ pedal.

If you want a real, clean boost, disregard an EHX LPD1 or an MXR Micro Amp.
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27034
    siraxeman said:
    Depends how much boost you want. It certainly can't match the 28dB from the Boo pedal.
    <space for hire>
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    SHO clones can be found cheaply.
    Ebay's full of them.
    edited June 2016

I think enough to launch say my OD rhythm sound over into solo meltdown lead - so a volume life enough to get a solo across....so I guess 28db will be more than necessary. I like the boost on my AC Tone - its the twin pedal version....and one footswitch offers up to 20dbs of boost - that is LOADS in terms of a volume lift for a solo - I think last time I used that and used its boost for a solo it was only on about 25-30% on the knob....and that was plenty to get a solo over the band. That pedal isn't currently on my board but I like the idea of such a boost being available to whatever pedals I'm using.

this shows the AC Tone and its boost at around 2:17 ish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q4xVZBPgt4

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5199
    edited June 2016
    +1 for the pure boost by Mooer...if you look up 'cheap clean boost' in an Encyclopaedia,there's a picture of a Mooer pure boost :)

Edit
    Mooer flex boost wasn't half as good
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    TheMarlin said:
    is that an rc booster clone?
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6154
    siraxeman said:
    Check out Danelectro Fish & Chips EQ/boost as well. I prefer its EQing to the Boss - it's quieter (as in no background noise). Another nice one is the Spark mini pedal, it's a very simple clean boost plus it has an intelligent footswitch that can be momentary or latching depending upon how you step on it, very useful.
  • Pete24vPete24v Frets: 235
    2nd hand Keeley Katana mini for £45 ish
  • cbellangacbellanga Frets: 572
    TheMarlin;1115115" said:
    +1!

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5206
    John_A said:
    Yep. I've got one of those too- works really well for extra sparklies in the front end or "the same but louder" boost in the loop. It's an EP Booster clone, and it's cheap as chips.

The same company also make a Super Hard On clone:

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Pretty sure it's not a EP clone, I would bet the 'SHO clone' is the same pedal in a different coloured box, it is a very good clean boost though