What's a good cheap clean boost?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5180
    John_A said:
    Pretty sure it's not a EP clone, I would bet the 'SHO clone' is the same pedal in a different coloured box, it is a very good clean boost though
    Why do you think it isn't an EP Booster clone, John_A? The name, the form factor, even the presence of two little DIP switches inside that do the same things as the DIP switches in the EP Booster all suggest that it is...

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2916
    Blackstar do a cheap LT Boost pedal. They say it's clean most of the way up before it starts clipping toward the end of its gain control. I've been tempted to try one for a while.
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    John_A said:
    Ta for that......too cheap to ignore espesh if it is a EP booster clone. Ordered. :)
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1284
    Honestly - TC Electronic Spark Mini.

Sounds wonderful (i.e. does nothing but makes it louder), small, and flexible with the clever footswitch
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    John_A said:
    Pretty sure it's not a EP clone, I would bet the 'SHO clone' is the same pedal in a different coloured box, it is a very good clean boost though
    Why do you think it isn't an EP Booster clone, John_A? The name, the form factor, even the presence of two little DIP switches inside that do the same things as the DIP switches in the EP Booster all suggest that it is...
    Thanks for the info.  I just thought because it was Chinese and 'too cheap'  Happy to be corrected, never even opened it up, I'll go and have a play with my DIP switches now.  Don't have an EP to compare, but it does exactly what I want for not a lot of cash.
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5180
    John_A said:
    John_A said:
    Thanks for the info.  I just thought because it was Chinese and 'too cheap'  Happy to be corrected, never even opened it up, I'll go and have a play with my DIP switches now.  Don't have an EP to compare, but it does exactly what I want for not a lot of cash.
    I don't have a real EP booster either, and I haven't got the skill to trace the circuit, so I don't know for sure that it is an EP Booster.

Basically, I was all set to build my own boost pedal, but discovered that the XP Booster was cheaper than making it myself.

Whatever it might be, it's definitely ridiculously cheap and sounds good. I'm tempted to get another so I can keep the solo boost and have the other in front of the amp.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• johnonguitarjohnonguitar Frets: 1243
    TC Mini Spark is awesome!! Has a lovely quality in the higher register much like a Keeley Katana imo
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Just been messing with mine, and I'm thinking the same way.  Ive only really used it as a solo boost in the loop, but just tried it in front of the amp and it certainly adds a bit of fatness in a very nice way.  Sounds great with a Tele :)
  • If you can get a 2nd hand Fulltone 2B boost, they are fantastic.
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22278
    Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster. I grabbed one for £20. Lots of options on it and pissed over some much more expensive ones I've owned in the past. 

• thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2335
    i;ve got a boo transparent booster that should do the job. £35 delivered. 
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1640
    TTBZ said:
    Blackstar do a cheap LT Boost pedal. They say it's clean most of the way up before it starts clipping toward the end of its gain control. I've been tempted to try one for a while.

The LT range were developed under the design brief that they had to sound as close as possible to the HT range. How well they succeeded is not for me to say but I cannot see how they could duplicate the headroom of pedals with a 30volt LT and 300V HT supply!

But as said, they are not expensive.

The EQ pedal with 28dB of boost? Does it use a 9V battery? If so it must be 28dB above nearly bugger all! 

Dave.

• ecc83;1127003" said:
    TTBZ said:

The LT range were developed under the design brief that they had to sound as close as possible to the HT range. How well they succeeded is not for me to say but I cannot see how they could duplicate the headroom of pedals with a 30volt LT and 300V HT supply! But as said, they are not expensive.The EQ pedal with 28dB of boost? Does it use a 9V battery? If so it must be 28dB above nearly bugger all! Dave.
    I've not a/b'd them but the boost, drive and dist are all really good sounding pedals.

I liked the ht metal and dual. Both really good for turning a single channel clean amp into something quite versatile.