Amp Q's pt 2 - JMP 1 preamp rig

relic245relic245 Frets: 963
I'm soon to buy a new rig and have a few questions. I've split it across 2 threads or it will be a lot of unrelated questions...

There is a JMP1 in classifieds which seriously floats my gas boat. I had one years ago with a marshall 50-50 valve amp and it was some of the most awesome sounds I've ever had. 

I wouldn't want to go the big iron power amp now though so have 2 questions. 

If I were to get something like a valvestate 8008 instead would I be dissapointed? Has anyone tried one of these preamps with both options?

How about using it in conjunction with something like a HRD, are they likely to play well together? I also love fender cleans so maybe this would be a great option. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10448

I use one, love it. Mine goes into an EL34 \ 100 -100 

I haven't used the JMP-1 into a solid state amp but I have used loads of other various pre amps into the Valvestate 8008 and it's a harsh sound compared to using a valve amp in my opinion. I've repaired a couple of 8008's and they are basically just a hi fi type SS amp that you can restrict the frequency response on, that's all that valvestate  \ linear switch does. I was quite pleased when i got the valve power amp, 2020 at first then the big one

You can use the HRD as a power amp, just plug the JMP-1 into the power amp in socket
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72528
    I agree with Danny - I like the Valvestate power amps, but for classic rock tone, the 20/20 is a better bet if you don't want the size and weight of a 50/50. (The Valvestate/Linear switch actually changes the power stage feedback mode not frequency response, but I agree it doesn't make a huge difference.) If you are going to get a Valvestate, make sure it's the 8008 and not the 8004 which is junk.

A friend of mine has a 20/20 for sale if it's of interest.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3318
    edited June 2016
    I used a JMP-1 rig with a JFX and a Valvestate 8008 power amp and it was fine. However, our other guitarist also had a JMP-1 with the 20/20 power amp and I thought his sound and the response was far more satisfying and I put that down to the power amp, so I concur with ICBM.

Incidentally, John Mitchell of It Bites uses a JMP-1 with a Valvestate 8008 and I saw them live last year and thought he had one of the best and clearest sounds I'd heard in recent times.

Also something to consider - the 50/50 and 100/100 are backbreakers especially when you add everything else to your rack.
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    I've had a couple of 8008's and they're good amps and very good value used but there is a glassy harshness to the top end. The Marshall 20/20 is a good shout - probably lighter than the 8008 and very pokey.

If you must have an SS power amp, the Rocktron Velocity 300 is decent sounding but, like the 8008, it's pretty heavy for an SS amp.

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I'd agree the 8008 sounds fine but into a decent valve power amp the jmp1 feels even better.
    8008's can be picked up pretty cheap used though so it might be worth trying one they you can fairly easily sell on if you feel you're missing something. The 8004 isnt anywhere near as good - I had one and after one rehearsal took it back - felt more like 4 watts than 40.
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 963
    Thanks for the replies. 

The more I think about this the more it's not the way to go. I had a rack in the 90's and while I loved what it could do, i really hankered for a good looking combo or head behind me.

I'm only playing for fun and part of the funness to me is pretending to be a rock star for a few hours a week. I just don't get that vibe with a rack.

I may still consider the jmp1 into something like a hrd but still have other options to try. 
    Thinking about the JMP amp from my other thread and sometime this week I'm going to go and audition a Blues Cube and Fender Bassbreaker. I'll have more of an idea then.