JOYO PXL-LIVE 8 Effect Pedal Loop Switching System

What's Hot
PaulMHPaulMH Frets: 17
Anyone got one of these? Any good regarding quality and reliability?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I had one for a while. (Might have been the pro? The version with midi). Felt really solid and worked great. Programming to use the pedal loops was quick and easy but the midi side was more of a faff. Great value and if I just wanted simple loop switching I'd be happy to use one again.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PaulMHPaulMH Frets: 17
    Yes, it's the one with MIDI I'm considering
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    PaulMH;1117553" said:
    Yes, it's the one with MIDI I'm considering
    It still works fine for basic midi stuff - I used program changes to switch anp channels and effects, just the the simple display made programming less intuitive and lots more clicking than I would like.
  • PaulMHPaulMH Frets: 17
    Cheers, it's such a big cost jump to anything else similar it might be worth a try
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    Yes I used one live for over year.  Never had any problems with it.  Only stopped using it because I bought a Helix. 
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    edited June 2016
    Henning Pauly has a great video manual on his YouTube channel, if you can get past his awful jokes and general 'I dare you to find me likeable' character he has done some good how to's.
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I preferred the g-lab gsc1, it just feels better.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1269
    Owned mine about a year now. MIDI programming's a bit counter-intuitive but other than that entirely happy.
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1686
    How do they work then?? say the non-midi one ..  PXL-4.....

Do you leave the pedals engaged, but simply toggle them into the chain as a whole??? Could I use one to do this??

Main chain is just a neutral path single channel amp set relatively clean...

Button one --> add chorus to the chain only
    Button two --> add distortion to the chain only
    Button three --> add distortion, overdrive/boost and delay to the chain only

My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1818
    How do they work then?? say the non-midi one ..  PXL-4.....

Do you leave the pedals engaged, but simply toggle them into the chain as a whole??? Could I use one to do this??

Main chain is just a neutral path single channel amp set relatively clean...

Button one --> add chorus to the chain only
    Button two --> add distortion to the chain only
    Button three --> add distortion, overdrive/boost and delay to the chain only

yep, basically that - you leave your pedals on in the loops, and then program the unit to switch in/out whatever loops you want per "preset" button.

I used one of the Joyo's before going FX8 and it worked a treat, built like a tank and I had it changing midi (For Timeline) and channel switching amp.

• vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3674
    edited June 2016
    Actually that's not how the Joyo PXLs work; you don't switch individual effects in and out. For each button you program which effects and relays (e.g. amp channel, amp reverb) you want. So for example you might program:
    • Button 1: Amp clean + compressor + chorus + amp reverb
    • Button 2: Amp clean + OD1 + phaser + amp reverb
    • Button 3: Amp clean + OD2 + delay + amp reverb
    • Button 4: Amp dirty + OD2 + delay
    What this means is that you can go from clean compressed chorus to screaming lead in one go. What it also means is that you can't just decide to add in a bit of phaser to your sound if you feel like it other than slecting button 2 and then manually switching the phaser on and off. The PXL-8 units have 8 banks so you can have 8 x 4 sounds at your feet. Switching banks takes one button press. The PXL-4 is the same but you only have four loops and two presets. On the PXL-8 Pro you can have 4 relays but no midi and on the PXL-8 Live you have two relays plus midi commands. The midi commands can be used to switch any device in your midi chain such as  pedals or amps.

If you wanted a unit where you switched in a bank and then wanted to add or substract additional effects to that sound then you need a more advanced switcher like the Gigrig G2 or the Boss ES-8. They also have loads of extra features like effects order, volume loops, tap tempo, delay trails etc. They are also 6-7 times the price of a Joyo PXL-8 unit.
    i think you are both stating the same kind of thing..

in it's simplest use case I would leave the pedals turn on.. then program Button 1 to include loop 1.. then program Button 2 to include loop 2.. and Button 3 to include 2&3&4  kind of things??
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3674
    edited June 2016
    Yes. You make sure that all the pedals are turned on by default and you press a button to switch in a preprogrammed combination of which effect you want in your sound. If you choose to you can also include channel switching on your amp at the same time. If you can be bothered here are some videos explaining how they work:

PXL-8 (no channel switching):

Here's one for the PXL-8 Pro (8 loops plus channel swicthing):

Here's one for the PXL-8 Live (8 loops, amp channel switching, midi switching):

cheers @vasselmeyer
    My trading feedback

edited June 2016
    @bloodandtears how many pedals are you switching? There is a GLab looper in the classifieds @timmysoft which will do all you might need, plus midi, plus amp switching, even volume level boost or cut. It's only got 4 loops tho I think.
    But it's awesome, it can also power your pedals by an isolated power supply.
    Also pretty cheap
    Not sure it's enough..plus it would only assist the fx loop pedals. . I like the 8 pro pxl due to the 2*4 grouping for in front and fx loop.
    My trading feedback

bloodandtears;1121590" said:
    Not sure it's enough..plus it would only assist the fx loop pedals. . I like the 8 pro pxl due to the 2*4 grouping for in front and fx loop.
    Yeah I can see if you have more pedals and need the fx loop number.
    I went for the glab as I can choose how many loops go in the fx loop.
    I only use one loop possibly 2
    Delay and I'm getting a verb.