Jet city speaker cab knowledge

What's Hot
professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
Hi I'm looking at @timmysoft s speaker cab wondered if anyone knows the sensitivity of it? I know it's a rated at 100w and is emminance but how well would it pair with my V30 that's in my combo? Thoughts?
Cheers.
" Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72539
    edited June 2016
    The volume difference is usually not that noticeable, even with quite large sensitivity differences. You can't always go by the manufacturer's figures anyway, some are more 'optimistic' than others. Eminence typically claim about 1-3dB more than Celestion, for the same actual - or at least perceived - volume.

A bigger problem is when the sound of the two speakers just doesn't really work well together, and unless you're previously tried it or someone else has, there's no reliable guide.

A good example: I recently tried a Celestion G12M-65 Creamback and a Classic Lead 80 in a friend's 2x12" cab. It sounded *terrible* - very 'separated' and exaggerating the differences between the two so neither sounded as good as each did alone. (And yes, they were in phase!) Swapped the Classic Lead for a G12H-75 Creamback - on paper a quite similar speaker, and… a perfect balanced tone and apparently equal volume from both speakers, despite the 3dB sensitivity difference.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Interesting.
    However it's a moot point as the cab is no longer available...... :(
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26712
    edited June 2016
    For what it's worth, @ICBM, when I had two Jet City cabs - one with V30s in and one with the stock Eminence speakers - the stock cab was absolutely inaudible when sat on top of the V30 cab. Even with my ears right in front of it, it felt like all the sound was coming from the V30s. Same when I had one V30 and one Eminence in the same cab.
    <space for hire>
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    Interesting.
    Yeah...sorry about that. Im just awaiting delivery
    :D
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    For what it's worth, @ICBM, when I had two Jet City cabs - one with V30s in and one with the stock Eminence speakers - the stock cab was absolutely inaudible when sat on top of the V30 cab. Even with my ears right in front of it, it felt like all the sound was coming from the V30s. Same when I had one V30 and one Eminence in the same cab.
    Interesting. I find that a bit with a mix of Greenbacks and V30s as well - although they don't sound the same, they're broadly the same EQ and so the V30 being more efficient dominates the pair to the point that sometimes the Greenback disappears, and the cab can sound 'twisted' to the V30 side.

That doesn't happen at all with a V30 and a G12T-75, which is the same (or 1dB less, depending on which Celestion figures you trust) sensitivity as the Greenback. The two speakers don't sound even close to similar, so you hear both of them as if they were about the same volume.

I have to admit I didn't expect that with V30s and any kind of Eminences… they don't sound very similar, to me - but the Eminence's frequencies must be entirely within the range of the V30's.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited June 2016
    ICBM said:
    Interesting. I find that a bit with a mix of Greenbacks and V30s as well - although they don't sound the same, they're broadly the same EQ and so the V30 being more efficient dominates the pair to the point that sometimes the Greenback disappears, and the cab can sound 'twisted' to the V30 side.

That doesn't happen at all with a V30 and a G12T-75, which is the same (or 1dB less, depending on which Celestion figures you trust) sensitivity as the Greenback. The two speakers don't sound even close to similar, so you hear both of them as if they were about the same volume.

I have to admit I didn't expect that with V30s and any kind of Eminences… they don't sound very similar, to me - but the Eminence's frequencies must be entirely within the range of the V30's.
    Those Eminence speakers are supposed to be based on the Eminence Legend V1216 speakers that Soldano use in their cabs, but made down to a (seriously low) cost. Having never heard one of those (they're custom made for Soldano - you can only buy the 8R version outside of a Soldano cab, and they're apparently voiced slightly differently).
    <space for hire>
    I had one of them - it came out of the Astroverb that the chap you sold the R&R to had. The amp sounded so much better with a G12H-30 Heritage it was almost hard to believe that Soldano would cripple the amp so badly with that speaker - it was about double the volume with the Celestion too. The Eminence was extremely middy, nasal and flat-sounding.

That said, I then put it in a Peavey Bandit which needed a replacement speaker - the power rating made it an obvious choice - and it was perfect. The inherent middy flatness totally cured the tendency of the Bandit to be a bit boomy and edgy, and too peaky dynamically. I don't actually think I've heard a Bandit sound better with any speaker.

ICBM said:
    I had one of them - it came out of the Astroverb that the chap you sold the R&R to had. The amp sounded so much better with a G12H-30 Heritage it was almost hard to believe that Soldano would cripple the amp so badly with that speaker - it was about double the volume with the Celestion too. The Eminence was extremely middy, nasal and flat-sounding.

That said, I then put it in a Peavey Bandit which needed a replacement speaker - the power rating made it an obvious choice - and it was perfect. The inherent middy flatness totally cured the tendency of the Bandit to be a bit boomy and edgy, and too peaky dynamically. I don't actually think I've heard a Bandit sound better with any speaker.
    In that case, I can imagine why Soldano use them - their higher-gain amps do have a tendency to boom quite a bit and (to me) they can sound a little shrill if they haven't had the depth mod.

Definitely a strange choice for an Astroverb, though.
    <space for hire>
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Nikko;1118307" said:
    professorben said:

Interesting.

Yeah...sorry about that. Im just awaiting delivery

:D
    Damn your hide sir!!
    Damn your hide and damn your breeches!!!!!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom