EHX

What's Hot
CookiemonsterCookiemonster Frets: 887
edited June 2016 in FX

Hey all,

Out of curisoity recently I have aquired a few EHX pedals,A Pulsar trem, Stereo memory man and Stereo Electric mistress which join my Pitchfork, which before this was my only EHX pedal, although I used to have a bass synth and a Big Muff

On here I see a lot of negatives for EHX, have to say for the price these have really quite surprised me. Is it the build quality that puts people off ?

Sound wise they sound as good as some of the higher priced boutique pedals I have had.

Slightly nervous of gigging with them if they are prone to faliure, and wonder why if the Pulsar and Mistress are stereo they dont both have stereo ins as well, which seems odd.

Need to work how to run them to two amps.

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7817
    I've had a few EHX pedals over the years and only had minor issues that are easily fixed, but general consensus seems to be the build quality and QC on some pedals is not the best.

I gig a lot with m<y soul food, but do have a backup plan.
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    I've got quite a few on my board at the moment (Hazarai, Freeze, Superego, MicroPOG and Soul Food) and have used loads more over the years, and have never (touch wood) had any go wrong. Only my very ancient mains powered Electric Mistress could be described as 'iffy', as it makes quite a lot of noise.
    Never had anything break under normal use.
  • Have looked at the super ego in the classifieds. how do you rate them @dogload

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

I wasn't sure what to expect when I got mine, despite doing the usual watching You Tube vids, as there weren't any kicking around in local shops. I'm sure I don't use it to it's full potential as it is capable of so much more than I use it for- I just leave it on Auto to track what I play, but it really does add another layer to the sound.

I have mine in a loop via a Boss LS-2 with a Mooer Trelicopter in the Superego's effects loop (yes, and not as pretentious as it sounds!) and use it to fatten up my sound - which it does beautifully - being the sole guitarist in a three-piece band. It adds texture and depth to fill out the parts where there should be keys or extra guitars. Worth trying if you can. 
  • Thats really interesting, so how do you use the ls2 ? is it all going to one amp or two ?

• hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    edited June 2016
    Its the build quality but that aside they are amazing in terms of sound.

The stereo pulsar I had for example, only a small position on the dial was actually termolo and above 12 it was basically a ring modulator, but thats EHXs usual design philosophy, they give the option to go past "sensible" if the user desires.

Also I think stereo ins are expensive and easier to do in digital since they require 2 discrete signal paths.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 661
    I have had x 3 Black Russian Muffs, x1 Green Sovtek Phaser, x 2 90's Polychorus, x1 Worm and have never had any issues.
    The Muffs had plastic jacks and I added DC input... EHX were know for shite unreliable foot switches for a while but they seem to use a better product?
    I wish everyone used the Boss/Digitech/Nobels type....
    Surprised no 'boutique/kid in a bedroom with a solder iron' has not gone that switching route, even my Johnson/Axl fifties trem pedal has the Boss one.
    @Cookiemonster I just use the LS-2 as a line selector/ blender. 
    I have most of my mod pedals plus the and Superego and the Hazarai in a loop that I can bring in or out  using the LS-2. The good thing about it is it can run two loops, each with it's own volume. I just use one of the send/ return loops but have it set to run both, the second volume then allows me to dial in the 'through' signal so I can have ridiculous modulation and 'reverse guitar' without losing the original guitar sound. Especially when using the Fender phaser... The full-on loop effects can be had just by turning down the volume of the non-loop signal if necessary. Although that doesn't often happen.
  • benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1397
    Said it before and I'll say it again. The Boss LS2 is an absolute Swiss Army knife pedal.
    How very rock and roll
  • I was going to get one of the joyo pxl things

• Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    I think EHX stuff is generally priced just right.  

Some complain about reliability and build quality, I gather, yes, as you say.  Is a lot of it footswitch related?

I suppose if you compare EHX stuff to Boss and MXR stuff at similar prices (MXR being much more affordable in USA), then relatively speaking most would prefer the latter brands in respect of build quality grounds, and what is the EHX stuff being compared to?
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw